new pads same rotors now brake judder in steering wheel

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

rondo

new pads same rotors now brake judder in steering wheel

Postby rondo » Wed May 20, 2015 5:16 am

I put new Wagner ceramic pads on my 03 4 wheel dr pathfinder I didn't change the rotors they looked clean and they are the hard to take off captive type.. so now the steering wheel is shuddering a bit from say 50 down to 20 mph . I did clean off some ceramic black spots the size of a quarter off the rotors and it even got a little better but still has a long way to get real smooth like before I did the brake job do you think semi metallic pads would fix this?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed May 20, 2015 6:17 am

metallics are a little more forgiving in this situation. The rotors are an easy change though and not much $$. They aren't captive, probably just rusted on to the hub. A rubber mallet ought to do the trick.

rondo

hub and rotor view might help

Postby rondo » Wed May 20, 2015 6:43 am

disallow wrote:metallics are a little more forgiving in this situation. The rotors are an easy change though and not much $$. They aren't captive, probably just rusted on to the hub. A rubber mallet ought to do the trick.

see link of rotor assembly

http://www.courtesyparts.com/images/r50/r50_400-3.gif

this my set up 4 wheel drive

http://www.courtesyparts.com/images/r50/r50_400-6.gif

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed May 20, 2015 6:55 am

so its bolted behind the hub assembly?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun May 24, 2015 6:55 pm

Rotors should be resurfaced or replaced any time pads are replaced. Nissan recommends using an on-car brake lathe. Pulsation has nothing to do with the type of pads, but with a warped rotor, or, as Nissan calls it, "rotor thickness variation."

rondo

brake judder

Postby rondo » Sun May 24, 2015 9:32 pm

smj999smj wrote:Rotors should be resurfaced or replaced any time pads are replaced. Nissan recommends using an on-car brake lathe. Pulsation has nothing to do with the type of pads, but with a warped rotor, or, as Nissan calls it, "rotor thickness variation."
thank you for your help . I would have wasted my money trying a semi metallic new pad. your right its the rotor , if I purchased a good name brand rotor that has been checked for run out would that help just to replace the rotor and new pads?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 25, 2015 10:47 pm

If the pads aren't that old, you can just replace the rotors. I've used Wagners and Raybestos Professional Series Advanced Technology rotors on Pathfinders and both have worked well. You may want to check with your local brake shops and/or Nissan dealer and see what it would cost to cut your rotors with an on-car brake lathe. The benefits are that it will be cut true to the knuckle and you won't have to have the hubs taken apart.

rondo

Postby rondo » Tue May 26, 2015 2:06 am

smj999smj wrote:If the pads aren't that old, you can just replace the rotors. I've used Wagners and Raybestos Professional Series Advanced Technology rotors on Pathfinders and both have worked well. You may want to check with your local brake shops and/or Nissan dealer and see what it would cost to cut your rotors with an on-car brake lathe. The benefits are that it will be cut true to the knuckle and you won't have to have the hubs taken apart.
that would be perfect if its not to much $$ the problem now is I believe there isn't enough metal onto the rotors I have now for a recut so if I did get new rotors the hubs would have to betaken apart in which I wont tackle on a 4 wheel drive. without an air socket gun. however the next time after the new rotors I needed pads it would be just f great to do a brake lath .

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”