1st time nissan owner (maybe) help please

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

Miles042091

1st time nissan owner (maybe) help please

Postby Miles042091 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:57 pm

Hello everyone, im looking at a 2008 nissan pathfinder se v6 with 96k miles. I need to upgrade from my civic because i need more room and my 1yr old daughter. Ive been a honda guy through and through but the crvs are to small and pilots too expensive. Anyway I took this pathfinder out today and loved it. Has everything ive been looking for. I have been reading about these pathfinders all night now and cant find to many bad things about the 2008s? Now i did come across a timing chain issue with the shoes i believe? How do I know the timing chains and shoes are alright before I buy? Theres no whine that I herd. As far as this tranny thing goes and fluid checks out ok, how do I know if anything has been fixed or when somethings going on, other than creamy trans fluid? When this tranny thing happens does it happen instantly or does it take a few days? I do a lot of city driving and long distance trips about once a month. No towing or serious off roading. I take good care of my vehicles and always keeps an eye on things, I worked at chrysler as a tech for a bunch of years and love hondas but I quit the mechanic thing and need a vehicle thats more practical all year round, room and so on. Sorry if this is long rant but I am just looking for some help before I make this long term financial trip. Thank you everyone in advance!!!!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:30 pm

The timing chain issue is pretty noticeable by the "whining" noise that occurs when it happens. Not all Pathfinders had the issue, but a lot of them did. The reason I heard as to why it happens has to do with the stamping of the chain links. When you got near the end of the life of the stamp, the link edges might not be as clean as when the stamp was new, thus the sharp edges would gradually cut into the plastic "foot" (or, "tensioner face," depending what source you reference) of the tensioner until it contacted the metal tensioner plunger, which is when the "whine" would occur and gradually get louder. It occurs on 05-10 V6 Pathfinders/Xterras/Frontiers. Nissan released a TSB with the updated upper chains and beefier tensioner "foot." Some ways of telling if the job has been done is by checking for RTV sealant other than the color gray at the seam between the front and rear timing covers. If you see black or red RTV, it's a sign that the cover has been off (of course, the repair could have been made with gray RTV, so it's not full-proof method). A CARFAX report could be another way of finding out if it has been done in the past, as well as info on the radiator issue, if that's in it's history.

If you have a Calsonic sticker with a part # ending in -EA215 or -EA265, you have the original radiator that has been prone to cooler failure. No sticker would likely mean it's an aftermarket replacement. If you have the original radiator, I would recommend replacing it with an aftermarket part or doing the bypass method.
The cooler issue is due to a failed seal in the cooler, which starts out slow and gets worse. The contamination will ruin the transmission, especially the solenoids on the valve body. Preventative maintenance by replacing or bypassing the radiator is your best defense.

Some other common problems include bad U-joints, serpentine tensioners, bolts seizing to the bushings in the front and rear control arms, and fuel sending units. If your TPMS sensors are original, plan on replacing the set of them in the not so far off future.

Miles042091

Postby Miles042091 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Thank you man! I was shown the car fax and 2 owners nothing unusual. They did show me the repair sheet when it went through the dealer. They put just under $3000 worth of work in it. Ball joints, battery,sway bar links, all tpm sensors, rear springs, 4 brand new tires, new rear window seal, driver window switch. A few more little things i forgot but is good but also tells me someone neglected it until the dealer got it and went through it. I really like it but im going to go check it out again friday and take it down the highway. I couldnt today because of 5oclock traffic and tight time schedule. But i really like it, seems like a great vehicle.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:49 am

Where in Ohio if you don't mind me asking? I'm around Columbus. Very happy with my '08 with over 130k miles. No timing chain whine on mine but I did swap the radiator as a precaution and also had the drivers window switch fail. Otherwise trouble-free.

It's nice the dealer changed all those parts, but you don't usually get any other maintenance records. What kind of price?

Miles042091

Postby Miles042091 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:58 am

Im a little south of Cleveland. Yea i was kind of surprised he showed me the repairs. I never herd of a sales man doing that. But they want $12500 for it. Im put some money down and their paying off the little bit i owe on my civic. Im probaly going to get it to be honest, i really like it and i been looking at stuff for a few months.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:07 am

Is that the one at Axlerods? It's optioned out exactly the same as mine. Looks pretty good and the price isn't bad really. I'd take it on the highway and make sure there are no vibrations. Check out the rear A/C and heat...mine is a bit erratic at times. Engage/disengage 4x4 to make sure that works. It wouldn't hurt to have a mechanic inspect it either. Airbags in the rear springs will take the butt-sag out too.

Miles042091

Postby Miles042091 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:43 am

Yes it is. Its the v6 not the v8. 4x4 engages and disengages just fine. The rear ac and heat work and nothing funny. Im going to take her on the hiway friday and look deeper under the hood and underneath. The only thing i noticed was the rear hatch window seal was leaking a bit. Told him and he said he would have it fixed. But over all i really like it.

Return to “General Automotive”