The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Has your transmission failed yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> Nissan Transmission FAIL
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has your transmission failed yet, and have you done the Bypass?
My transmission died after the radiator failed :-(
26%
 26%  [ 28 ]
My transmission died on it's own for a separate problem.
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
My transmission is a-ok, and I did the Bypass Fix.
21%
 21%  [ 23 ]
My transmission is a-ok, no Bypass, fingers crossed!
48%
 48%  [ 52 ]
Total Votes : 107

islandpostie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Radiator Bypass Reply with quote

For everyone so worried about the tran/radiator problem and haven't yet had the mixing of the two fluids yet. Do the bypass already and make sure to throw in an external trans cooler. Just had it done to my 07 yesterday. The cost 250.00, that is nothing compared to what it could be and the cost of worrying about it. Some folks go without an extra cooler but down the road if you're towing you'll be hooped. They are only about 100.00 bucks. Take care.
eieio
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator Bypass Reply with quote

islandpostie wrote:
For everyone so worried about the tran/radiator problem and haven't yet had the mixing of the two fluids yet. Do the bypass already and make sure to throw in an external trans cooler. Just had it done to my 07 yesterday. The cost 250.00, that is nothing compared to what it could be and the cost of worrying about it. Some folks go without an extra cooler but down the road if you're towing you'll be hooped. They are only about 100.00 bucks. Take care.

thanks islandpostie, but you're preaching to the choir here

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, if you are planning to tow a heavy enough load to require additional cooling over the stand alone auxiliary cooler, then you would be better off replacing the radiator and using it's integral cooler than just adding an additional external cooler. You can get a new radiator and coolant for $100 plus a liquid-to-liquid cooler is far more efficient than an air-to-liquid cooler.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
denverrand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Noticed a shudder at 40mph Reply with quote

Bought a 2008 Pathfinder with 92k miles. Noticed a shudder around 40mph under very specific conditions the day after I bought it so I took it to a transmission shop.

They said the fluid looked black and then dropped the pan and the fluid had the appearance (milky) of what they'd seen in ones that coolant had leaked into the transmission. The radiator had cracked and leaked coolant into the transmission.

Found out about the Nissan radiator/transmission assistance program, called them and then took it to a dealership where it's getting a new radiator and transmission now, after the $3k co-pay which the dealer I bought it from paid half of because it happened within the 30 day warranty period they gave me.

Glad my new Pathfinder was under 100k miles and that I noticed it before the warranty ran out from the dealer I bought it from. Nissan should have done a recall, but I got a new transmission at 92k miles for $1500 so I'm not too bent out of shape.

http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiator/faqs.php?menu=22

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Pathfinder/2006/transmission/coolant_leaked_into_transmission.shtml
denverrand

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MakDizzle wrote:
SO i got over 120k on my 05, I got the shuddering between 40-65 but I'm hoping its the u-joints. I checked my radiator cap and havent seen any contamination.

You need to drop the transmission pan to tell if there has been any cross contamination. And for those who just replaced fluid and think you're ok, you're not. Once you get coolant in the transmission it's like acid and eats away at some things. It may work for a while, but you're destined for a failure (IMO).
eieio
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denverrand wrote:
MakDizzle wrote:
SO i got over 120k on my 05, I got the shuddering between 40-65 but I'm hoping its the u-joints. I checked my radiator cap and havent seen any contamination.

You need to drop the transmission pan to tell if there has been any cross contamination. And for those who just replaced fluid and think you're ok, you're not. Once you get coolant in the transmission it's like acid and eats away at some things. It may work for a while, but you're destined for a failure (IMO).

MakDizzle, you do not need to drop the pan to check for contamination
do the by-pass procedure
while you have the hoses disconnected, drain some trans fluid & inspect it for contamination
you may not see any contamination in the coolant, but there could still be coolant in the trans fluid
if it looks good, complete the by-pass and call it a day (or about 45 minutes)

M6C DAZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought an '05 V6 pathfinder and reading all this scares me, it's 10 years old now and has done 120k surely mine will have been sorted by now? *crossed fingers*

So what do I need to check?
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do the bypass.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=2139&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=114

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 343000kms (213000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
M6C DAZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile I shall go check that!
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M6C DAZ wrote:
Just bought an '05 V6 pathfinder and reading all this scares me, it's 10 years old now and has done 120k surely mine will have been sorted by now? *crossed fingers*

So what do I need to check?

Carfax or service records might tell you if the radiator and/or tranmission has been replaced. Factory radiators should have a Calsonic label on the top tank with a part number. If you see the -EA215 or -EA265 on it, it's the original radiator and should be replaced or bypassed. Part numbers with -9CA2E on it indicates a replacement Nissan radiator was installed in it, but it may or may not be the updated design, as apparantly the update was made during this part number run, but we don't have anything to show if it's the old design or new design. If there is no sticker on the top tank, it is "likely" an aftermarket replacement, which is fine. Aftermarket replacements can be had for $72-$150 not including labor. Stillen is coming out with an all-aluminum radiator for $350 (it may already be out). If you do heavy towing or see very cold weather, I would recommend you replace the radiator as opposed to bypassing it.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
Rodnocker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Pathfinder owner here. I am in the process of buying a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4D 4wd with 144,000 miles. Truck is super clean, runs great but has not had the bypass done. I was already aware of the possible issues before I made the plans to purchase and am already planning to do the bypass within the next couple of weeks. I know the previous owners (my parents) and they were never aware of the issue with the radiator.
eieio
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodnocker wrote:
New Pathfinder owner here. I am in the process of buying a 2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4D 4wd with 144,000 miles. Truck is super clean, runs great but has not had the bypass done. I was already aware of the possible issues before I made the plans to purchase and am already planning to do the bypass within the next couple of weeks. I know the previous owners (my parents) and they were never aware of the issue with the radiator.

welcome to The Nissan Path! Very Happy
do the by-pass RIGHT AWAY!
your radiator extension is long gone.......

71olds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: 2010 radiator fail Reply with quote

2010 SE here radiator went at 52K taking out the trans

Nissan covered it all no drama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> Nissan Transmission FAIL All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: