Transmission Problem Question

Discussion topics related to the radiator and transmission failures in all Nissan trucks, education of the public on this issue, and attempts to force Nissan to start a recall.

Moderator: volvite

jerzeeog

Transmission Problem Question

Postby jerzeeog » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:44 am

Hey all....First post but not a new member,

I've been a lurker on this Forum for a while now as I do with all my cars just to be on the loop of what's going on and quick fixes to problems. Now the dreaded radiator/transmission problem arose. Before I ask the question please know I'm not a noob and did research and read many threads on this topic but have not found a definitive answer to my question.

From what I've read, most people that post about this problem have total transmission failure. This to me means the trans is locked up or seized and will not shift or the damage is beyond repair and a new trans is needed.
My Path is an 07 with 81k miles. This transmission BS just happened to my wife while driving. The truck actually overheated on my wife (luckily about 2 blocks from the house) so it was not driven overheated. When I checked the radiator I saw the "milkshake" looking fluid. The transmission still shifts engages and drives.

Now I will be bypassing the tranny cooler with an external one and also to replace the radiator with the Spectra Premium CU2807 which is what most members use with no issues. I don't trust the new Nissan one and buying the same one will just ensure the same thing happens again down the line.
So my question is Can I get away with just a tranny flush and a coolant flush?

This way which will be wayyyyyyyyyy cheaper than the $2500 copay Nissan is so generous to allow me to pay for what they know should be a recall. From what I read all Nissan does is flush the tranny/coolant anyway. Is not like they replace the whole transmission for a new one.

Any help from anyone who has done this would be appreciated, or links to threads that I may have missed that answers going this path over the dealer option.

jerzeeog

Postby jerzeeog » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:19 am

I found this thread, that answers my question:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=11380

Is this the norm for flush jobs?
Also for anyone who has gone through the dealer does Nissan actually replace the transmission for a new one os is it just a flush that they do as some have posted?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:34 am

jerzeeog wrote:I found this thread, that answers my question:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=11380

Is this the norm for flush jobs?
is what the norm for flush jobs?
jerzeeog wrote:Also for anyone who has gone through the dealer does Nissan actually replace the transmission for a new one os is it just a flush that they do as some have posted?
in most cases under the extended warranty, Nissan will replace the transmission with a remanufactured one, replace the radiator, and all related fluids
if they were to just flush & replace fluids, the trans will likely fail eventually anyway as once the cross contamination happens, the damage is done
i can't remember anyone having good long term results with just flushing the systems and replacing the fluids
maybe that answers your other question

jerzeeog

Postby jerzeeog » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:54 am

Thanks eieio that's what I needed...Since Nissan will repalce the tranny with a remanufactured one then this is indeed the way to go. I will just need to ensure they replace it with the updated radiator to prevent this issue again.

In regards to my question about the norm on flush jobs, on that link I posted the OP only got about 5k miles before the transmission started acting up again. So I was wondering if this for all, but you answered that as well....Thanks again.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 pm

Any radiator they install at this point should be of the updated design as they've been available for at least 5 years.

Return to “Nissan Transmission FAIL”