Cant manually put in 1st gear?

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

T_WOODY

Cant manually put in 1st gear?

Postby T_WOODY » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:36 am

Hey guys im new here so bare with me. I have a 92 pathfinder se and I am having problems with 1st gear. Its not that it wont go into 1st but you cant lock it in 1st gear. If you try to put the shifter down into 1st gear the light on the dash disappears and if you start to drive it will shift into second but wont go any farther. All the other gears work just fine its just 1st that is giving me troubles. Anyone with the similar problem would be awesome thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:38 pm

You likely have worn parts inside the transmission, requiring teardown and rebuilding, which can get expensive depending on the number of parts that need to be replaced. Another option would be a used transmission replacement.

T_WOODY

Postby T_WOODY » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Really? even if the trans isn't acting up? its not slipping or doing anything goofy it will go into first without a problem if you come to a stop its just not locking into first. I know on the pathfinder the trans selection is all electronically controlled not mechanically. so with that being said is there a sensor that controls the trans selector?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:31 pm

Is this a manual or automatic transmission? By your initial post, I assumed you had a manual. If it's an auto, there's a shift cable between the shifter assembly and the left side of the transmission. Inspect the shift cable and bushings.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”