Suspension - Where's the Beef?

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

KellyGee

Suspension - Where's the Beef?

Postby KellyGee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:25 pm

First off, please forgive me if I am sounding ignorant...I haven't really done extensive research on my own and am just coming to the forum to see what my fellow PF peeps can tell me.
My 2008 SE V8 feels like it has the suspension of a trampoline. I have posted this complaint on here in the past and received a forward to an air assist package for my existing suspension. I am thankful for the response and recommendation and have thought on it for quite some time. The only reason I haven't acted on it is that to me this feels like a band-aid to the bigger problem IMO. As referenced in the subject line, I am looking to beef up the suspension :twisted: . I wanted to get a better idea of some of the options that are available other than the air assist. During my brief research I was able to find a 1.5" - 2" lift kit from Rancho but didn't read any reviews or know if it will resolve the bump and sway of what I currently have. Has anyone here made any suspension alterations to their existing ride? I would greatly appreciate any advice, pictures, recommendations.
I feel somewhat cheated by the typical suspension vendors (SkyJacker, ARB, OME, TeraFlex, etc.), everything they have in the Nissan truck family appears to be for the Titan, Frontier, or XTerra.

Responses are most welcomed.

Thanks,
KG

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:43 pm

There has been lots of talk about the suspension of the R51. Here is a link to a lift thread.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=4823

There is tons of information regarding the suspension in the R51 section under suspension etc. Hope this helps.

As for me, I have the airlift and they are the best upgrade/bandaid you can buy for less than $100. There are other spring replacements out there, such as OME that I believe NVsteve has on his 07 SE-OR. The only concern most have is with aftermarket springs, some, not all, are unable to get the rear end within alignment specs.

KellyGee

Postby KellyGee » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:59 pm

volvite: Many thanks for your response and I have been looking over the previous posts. Those lifts definitely make the already stellar profile look even more sexy.
Your comment about the alignment specs is somewhat disheartening however I am glad you mentioned it. No matter how much I like to think I am a hard core off roader, I will be more of a concrete cowboy if anything and that alignment is a lot more important to me than looking good. I will re-consider the airbags and like you said, for under $100, there isn't much to lose and everything to gain.

Thanks again!

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:01 pm

Glad I could help. Like I said, not everyone has problems with alignments. I just know some have, and wanted you to be aware of the possible issue. However with you having a newer R51 in the year group, you might be ok. The only reason I've not upgraded anything on my pathfinder as it's my wife's daily driver. I drive a 06 Speed6 as my car. Until the Pathfinder becomes my daily driver, I can't really do too many upgrades.

KellyGee

Back again

Postby KellyGee » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 am

So I caved and I got the airlift 1000's and I am excited to get to it this weekend. I wanted to ask you volvite, where did you put the fill valves? I have seen a few options but wanted to know if you had any recommendations.

Thanks,
KG

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:56 pm

I actually have them on the lower part of the bumper. However having seen what others have done, I would recommend them to be closer to the hitch or attached to the metal bracket where the wiring plug is located. I have not had any issue on the bottom of the bumper, but there is a higher risk of ripping them off while on dirt roads and such.

This is where mine are located. This image is looking at the passenger rear side.

RCAPathfinder

Postby RCAPathfinder » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:50 pm

I have the air lift 1000 also and I put the valves where the tire iron goes under the access panel in the back. works 100% and is easy access to change pressures when needed. If you have a bouncy ride its probably bad shocks.

RCAPathfinder

Postby RCAPathfinder » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:54 pm

Do you want a really beefy suspension... check out mine...lol

I have a 2.5" SL and 3"BL on 32 " goodyear Duratracs.

KellyGee

Postby KellyGee » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:52 pm

I purchased and installed the Airlift 1000's about 4 months ago and I LOVE THEM! I had to move cross country and needed to tow an overloaded UHAUL over 2000 miles. I definitely needed something to help the suspension. It was a fairly simple install except for my kit was missing the hose....not so useful without hoses. I called AirLift and they said they could ship me a new kit but I was leaving in about two days so I asked if there was any other options out there for me and he told me to go to Home Depot and find their nylon water hoses and I should be good. Aside from the fact that the color of my hoses isn't black, I am reporting that they work like a champ. Anyway, here is a picture of my black beauty in all her glory holding onto a very much overloaded trailer....don't recommend:
[/img]Image

Return to “General Automotive”