Clay bar & wax

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Clay bar & wax

Postby Kestral » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:01 am

I just thought I would comment that I used a clay bar for the first time and I was shocked at how much ground in dirt I got off my 2012 Pathfinder! I then put a coat of was on it and the finish looks like new. Looks like I will use a clay bar at leased once a year from now on.

jhg120

Postby jhg120 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:11 am

I have been contemplating the clay bar/wax/polish route as well. Is it really worth the time, effort?? I also wonder how long the nice clean look will last.

How long did the process take you?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:16 am

It really did not take that long to do although I must admit I did it in stages as I have some health issues that makes me get real tired when I exerted myself. The big issue I had was the finish on my doors was rough with ground in dirt you could feel it as you run your hand across it and the finish looked dull. Pick up an easy remove wax to apply after you clay and it will not take that long at all. I figure it should be clay bared once a year to remove ground in dirt..... Strangely my hood and front fenders were quite clean and I got little off with the clay. I did not bother with the roof that would be a pain to clay.

kingfisher73

Postby kingfisher73 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:08 pm

as a professional detailer with over 15 yrs of experience..I can tell you the clay bar is a great product..and here's a tip..rather than using water with it..use detailer spray .
as you wipe u r then also leaving a shiny surface..and it has better lubrication properties.. make sure you go with the grain..or airflow..front go back. .

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:37 pm

jhg120 wrote:I have been contemplating the clay bar/wax/polish route as well. Is it really worth the time, effort?? I also wonder how long the nice clean look will last.

How long did the process take you?
To answer your question, yes, it is worth the effort. The paint feels like mirror when you run your fingers on it. Easier to clean to since most of the dust slides down or gets blown of.

It wont take that long to do the whole car. I'd say about 2 hours with break. Just make sure you have lots of elbow grease. :D

Return to “R51 General Chat”