Let's talk about the dealership for a second...

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

DanJetta

Let's talk about the dealership for a second...

Postby DanJetta » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:46 pm

Warning: This is a rant.

What the hell happened to dealership service departments? Used to be, they would try to convince you your car needs a bunch of unnecessary work–like they're supposed to. Lately, I have to get on my hands and knees and beg them to do work.

Took my car in for three things today: wheels out of balance, chirping drive belt and a cracked exhaust manifold. The service advisor called and said, "The service manager couldn't hear your belt chirping and could not reproduce the shaking steering wheel. The exhaust manifold is leaking but it's really expensive to fix. We recommend you do nothing."

I go to pick up the car and, as I'm standing there, can hear the belt chirping. It took me 10 minutes to convince him that *any* amount of chirping belt is not acceptable to me. Another customer saw us and walked over to reassure me he could hear it from across the parking lot. Same with the wheel balance issue. I practically had to beg them to actually remove the wheels and balance them regardless of whether they believed vibration at 70 mph was normal. And the most information I could get about a price for the manifold was, "It's like $3,000 to fix."

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. This is the second dealership that simply does not want to do work on cars. I'm practically begging them to take my money and they don't want it. While they're playing hard to get, I'm driving around in a truck that sounds like a tractor while the steering wheel shakes my arms off.

Looks like I'm forced to go back to Mr. Tire to have a future inmate rummage through my car for valuables.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:08 pm

why did you go to a dealership, instead of an independent shop?

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:48 pm

1. There are certain things I am really anal about – one of them being wheel balance and alignment. The dealership uses a diagnostic balancer (i.e. Hunter RoadForce Touch) with dynamic weight positioning (stickies and clamps) as opposed to a static balancer (commonly found at smaller shops). The last time I got a wheel balance from a static balancer, I had to go back 3 times (4 attempts) until he got it close-ish. Finally got a diagnostic balance which made the ride silky smooth.

2. I called a few indie shops a while back to price out a trannie for my wife's Jetta. Everyone said they were too busy and didn't have time. They seemed to prefer to do the quick maintenance stuff. In my area, anyway. Ended up going to the dealership, who swapped it in a half day.

Being that the dealerships don't want the work, either, it does appear I'll be back on the phone this week begging some independent guy to please consider working on my truck. As much as I don't want to, I may have to turn to prostitution to get this done. I'll explain to my kids that I did it for our family.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:02 am

I'm not sure I'm following. This isn't some sort of warranty work is it? So you tell the dealership you didn't ask for his F@!#ing opinion so just fix it already. You could also try the Infiniti dealer as they'll be less accustomed to tight-budget customers.

I've been in some pretty shady tire shops and they all have Hunter road-force machines. In fact, I usually avoid the dealers for tire work because they just don't do much of it. But if all you have nearby are chains I guess that's what it is. I'm thankful there's a very busy mom and pop joint near me that does terrific work. Tires are usually about the same price as Tirerack even.

You might also try http://www.cartalk.com/mechanics-files to search for a good indie mechanic. Ratings are probably less sketchy than Yelp.

not on the rug

dealership

Postby not on the rug » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:52 am

Where are you located? I can recommend 2 great independent mechanics and a great Nissan dealership as well. If you're in NJ...

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:45 am

skinny2 wrote:I'm not sure I'm following. This isn't some sort of warranty work is it? So you tell the dealership you didn't ask for his F@!#ing opinion so just fix it already. You could also try the Infiniti dealer as they'll be less accustomed to tight-budget customers.
Ha! Exactly.

The Nissan dealership I'm talking about today is in Annapolis, MD. Terrible service advisors, who make the techs look bad.

Picked up my truck today. The service ADVISOR said they couldn't hear the belt chirping and did not feel the steering wheel shake. Asked for the service MANAGER who told me they did feel the wheel shake and the chirping belt is a bad tensioner (again).

I think you're right about them not knowing a lot about tires. The service manager told me the wheel shaking is because my tires are cupped. Me: "Got it. Is that because of bad struts, alignment or worn suspension components?" Service Manager: "No, it's from hard braking." M'kay.

They also told me I needed a bunch of fluids flushed and that my front pinion seal was leaking. That's all fine, except I spent a thousand dollars a little over a year ago changing all of those fluids–which included them replacing the front pinion seal (which is now conveniently out of warranty).

I hung my head and said, "Just give me my invoice so I can pay and take it somewhere else." The tech replied, "Sounds good, man." They really just don't want the business.

When I lived in VA with my '92 VW GTI, there were a ton of "old VW mechanics who started their own shops." They were honest and good. I miss that. I don't even care if it's cheap. I'm totally willing to spend the money.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:45 pm

Found someone to do my exhaust manifolds. The bill was $2500 but worth it. $800 per side for parts and 10 hours of labor.

I wouldn't have thought cracked manifolds make such a huge difference in engine performance but she feels like a new truck.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:48 pm

I still say someone used your rig as a desert racer. Or you just have terrible luck with vehicles. :shock:

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:21 pm

skinny2 wrote:I still say someone used your rig as a desert racer. Or you just have terrible luck with vehicles. :shock:
Ha! The truck was a dealership loaner in its former life, so probably about right. Though I complain about it a lot, it has't been terrible. You know how some people can drive around with a check engine light on, a rear window that doesn't work and warped rotors? That's not me. I lie awake at night thinking about a cap that's missing from the third-row seatbelt anchor. I'm the kind of guy I want to buy a car from. Anal and annoying. :)

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:44 pm

DanJetta wrote:
skinny2 wrote:I still say someone used your rig as a desert racer. Or you just have terrible luck with vehicles. :shock:
Ha! The truck was a dealership loaner in its former life, so probably about right. Though I complain about it a lot, it has't been terrible. You know how some people can drive around with a check engine light on, a rear window that doesn't work and warped rotors? That's not me. I lie awake at night thinking about a cap that's missing from the third-row seatbelt anchor. I'm the kind of guy I want to buy a car from. Anal and annoying. :)
I'm kind of like that. I can't handle something not working or making weird noises. But I'll usually bail on a vehicle before I start dumping tons of money into it. I'd rather spend the money on a newer vehicle. So far through 140k miles, this one hasn't given me any reason to pull the plug.

Either way, I don't want to buy YOUR Pathfinder! :lol:

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:05 am

Yeah, my truck has been the poster child for "common Pathfinder problems." Aside from timing chain and transmission problems, luckily. I don't get upset anymore, though, because, after all, it's a Nissan, not a Mercedes. Plus, I bought it knowing the reliability reviews weren't exactly glowing. It's a sh*t truck but I do love it.

Return to “R51 General Chat”