more questions about tires

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:09 pm

For my money, the Michelin LTX M/S2's are the best for highway driving under dry, wet or moderate snowfall conditions. They ride great and are quiet with great traction. I replaced mine with Nitto Dura Grapplers, which were a lot cheaper, and I'm starting to regret it a little. The Dura's are a good tire, don't get me wrong, but they definitely make my Pathy feel more "truck-like" and now with a little mileage on them, you can really feel the road surface transmitted to the steering wheel, and not in a good way. Traction and wear have been great; it's just not a good riding tire, comfort-wise. If they ever wear out, I'll spend the money and go back to Michelins. These are on the 06 LE.
On the 08 SE, there are Wild Country Sport XHT. They are okay when they are new, but they wear poorly and fast! This one will likely be getting a set of Hankook Dynapros in the near future.

asgard

Postby asgard » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:59 am

Well I thought I would restart this thread. You guessed it I never did get new tires. I made it back north in Jan no bother on the long trail tires and with little need to change them due to wear issues are still running them.
However, I will be changing before this winter as I an north for the entire time.
Having looked again at the selection I am still not convinced of the winter capability of the Michelin.
I am now looking closely at the General Grabber AT2 as a good all rounder.
Does anyone have these on their Pathfinder, I will be sticking with standard size 265/65/17 .
If you have any input re noise in use, highway mostly and fuel economy as the tire is a little heavier it would be good to here your input.
I live in rural Ontario and the roads are not great, almost off road-ing some times but then again I spend a good portion of my time on the highway.
Thoughts and comments ??
Long trails now at 92k kms, with 5/32 left.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:00 pm

The Grabber AT 2 is an excellent tire, but it's all about compromise. It has a more aggressive tread than the Michelin LTX M/S2 and LTX A/T2 tires and is a better tire in light and deep snow, beside the fact that they are less expensive to purchase. They are all about the same as far as ice traction and wet traction. Noise, ride and treadwear will be better with either of the the Michelin LTX's. Being in Ontario, I imagine you see your fair share of deep snow, so the Grabber AT 2 might make more sense.

azaizai

Postby azaizai » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:50 am

I gave my offer for the Cooper Discoverer AT3's in december. Since then these tires have been awesome.

For your deep snow case, I took a roadtrip in february in Missouri with one of our larger snow storms in the last few years. It was a light dusting at noon, and by the time we hit the road it was something like 4-5 inches. The tires did amazing, I didnt even need 4wd once I was up to speed. There was no slipping or loss of traction, it was amazing.

That being said, the tires at that point were about as new as you can get..so realistically anything with that much tread would have been ok. But I really do like these tires. They have a little tire noise when turning at above 40 mph speeds, but on the highway they're pretty smooth.

asgard

Postby asgard » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks again for your input. I decided after more reading and checking on various forums that I would go for the General Grabber AT2 and ordered a set today.
I am now wondering whether I should have the alignment checked after I get them installed. The tires are wearing evenly at 92k so is it worth it. Dealer has a special on for $80 might be worth it for peace of mind - or - leave it alone in case they screw up.
Last edited by asgard on Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:18 pm

A good rule of thumb is to always have an alignment done when you purchase new tires.

asgard

Postby asgard » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:25 pm

Well I finally went and bought the General Grabber AT2 tires. So far they have driven smooth and they are quiet. Slight drop in mpg getting 12.4l/100kms as oppose to 11.7l/100kms so not a big drop.
They are quite aggressive and I went for the all black version, tired of the BFG white letters.
So far happy, time will tell. out the door under C$950 / $725US bought them at Walmart, road hazard, free rotation, balance and repair, thought that was OK, no Nitrogen fill but that is no big deal.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:05 pm

Unless you are competing in NASCAR, nitrogen filling the tires is really over-rated. "Regular" air in our atmosphere is already 78% nitrogen.

asgard

Postby asgard » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:45 pm

Update on the General grabber AT2.
Well after only 200km I had to get them re-balanced , they just started to vibrate. Then after another 270kms they needed balanced again , getting a bit concerned with this outcome and you guessed it after just another 170kms re-balance needed.
Well today I returned again to have the balance sorted and the tires with 650kms on them showed the following out of balance 1/4 out 3/4 in, 1/2 out 1,5 in, 1 in 2 out and 1/4 in 1.5 out =- all ounces of weight.
At this point both myself and the manager at Walmart said they were bad tires.
Luckily I retained my BFG tires and back on they went.
This might be an isolated incident but it was very disconcerting , great looking tire and I had great expectations of this tire for winter driving, but it was not to be.
So back to the drawing board, looking more like BFG long trail as OEM or LTX m/s.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:30 pm

If you want an all-terrain tire, you'll want the LTX A/T2. The LTX M/S2, which I've had, is more of a highway tread. Both are excellent and you'll get a lot more mileage out of the Michelins than you will with the BFG's, which seem to be good for about 35,000. I got twice that out of my LTX M/S2's.

not on the rug

Postby not on the rug » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:33 am

asgard wrote:Update on the General grabber AT2.
Well after only 200km I had to get them re-balanced , they just started to vibrate. Then after another 270kms they needed balanced again , getting a bit concerned with this outcome and you guessed it after just another 170kms re-balance needed.
Well today I returned again to have the balance sorted and the tires with 650kms on them showed the following out of balance 1/4 out 3/4 in, 1/2 out 1,5 in, 1 in 2 out and 1/4 in 1.5 out =- all ounces of weight.
At this point both myself and the manager at Walmart said they were bad tires.
Luckily I retained my BFG tires and back on they went.
This might be an isolated incident but it was very disconcerting , great looking tire and I had great expectations of this tire for winter driving, but it was not to be.
So back to the drawing board, looking more like BFG long trail as OEM or LTX m/s.
what's wrong with cooper discoverer at or toyo open country at2? 2 of the best, and most affordable at tires on the market

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:11 am

Just installed my 3rd set of Michelin LTX M/S2 yesterday. Just under 60k miles out of this set and they still had about 4/32nds. I thought about going with a cheaper tire but these have just performed so well over the years I don't think saving $100 is worth it.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:50 am

It's tough to beat the ride of the Michelins. That's my only gripe with the Nitto Dura Grapplers with which I replaced my Michelins. The Nittos have been wearing great and have been great in all kinds of weather. They've been reasonably quite, but they just ride harder than the Michelins. Money was tight at the time and they were $155 each compared to $208 each for the Michelins, so I don't totally regret the decision. But, whenever they wear out, which could take some time, I'll likely go back to Michelin.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:25 pm

Michelin usually has a rebate this time of year. It's $70 if you buy four right now. The best deal was at Sam's Club which has Michelin Radial X LT2's which appear to be identical to the M/S2 and $10 cheaper per tire plus you can still get the rebate. But my club didn't carry that size and they were not sure how soon they would get them in. My shop was $199 each for the tires plus I'll get the rebate. So not bad.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”