95 Pathfinder won't start...

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

Jnunn820

95 Pathfinder won't start...

Postby Jnunn820 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:03 am

I have a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder 2wd that will not start. I have put a new starter & starter relay on it. The battery is good, but I did put a different battery in it & tried with that just to make sure. My next thought is maybe the ignition switch went bad, but before I replace that as well I wanted to see what you guys thought.
It was running fine, drove home from work & the next morning, nothing, just dead.
Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:36 am

If you have power to everything but doesnt crank could be your ignition switch

Jnunn820

Postby Jnunn820 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:28 am

Yes I have power going to everything, but still not even trying to spin over. Should I just try to replace the ignition switch or switch & tumbler together?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:59 am

It "could" be the ignition switch, or it could be a bad neutral-safety switch or clutch switch, depending on transmission type, or a shorted or open wire, or bad starter. Only want to be sure is to get a 12v test light and a wiring diagram for the starter system and do some testing to follow the flow of pattern. First thing you'll want to do is (after making sure the trans is in neutral or part) run 12v to the solenoid to see if jumping it will cause the starter to turn; if not, you probably got a bad starter. You could also jump the starter relay. With the test light, you can confirm 12v is getting to the starter solenoid signal wire when someone turns the key to "start." Just use the wiring diagram to test the flow of power to the starter.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”