High pitched noise from steering

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering

Moderator: volvite

Stormy

High pitched noise from steering

Postby Stormy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:31 am

I own a 2014 pathfinder and love it with the exception of the high pitched noise from the steering. It is obnoxious to the point that I have to keep the radio on (and loud), as well as, the fan from my heat/air system. If I only have one on, I can still here the noise.

Please help.

Stormy

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:11 am

If its that annoying, I'd suggest a trip to your dealer. If its one of those things that comes and goes, I would mention it at your next oil change so they can have a look.

I have not heard of this issue from anyone else as yet, so probably not a common defect.

t

Stormy

Postby Stormy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:59 pm

Actually I have been to the dealer twice over the issue.

The first time I was told this is normal and it is a part of the electrical steering.

The 2nd time they agreed it was loud and I was told they would check into it and get back to me. I have yet to hear back...

I decided that maybe I needed to see just how normal this issue was...

Thanks for your feedback.

Stormy

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:09 pm

Stormy wrote:Actually I have been to the dealer twice over the issue.

The first time I was told this is normal and it is a part of the electrical steering.

The 2nd time they agreed it was loud and I was told they would check into it and get back to me. I have yet to hear back...

I decided that maybe I needed to see just how normal this issue was...

Thanks for your feedback.

Stormy
I'd go back to the dealer and drive a new 2014/2015 on the lot and see if it makes the same sound. If it does not than I would talk to the service manger and ask him why they said it was normal when vehicles on their lot don't make the same sound. If nothing comes of it I would be going above the service managers head to his boss until the situation is resolved. No point in having a warranty if they are not willing to fix issues.

Stormy

Postby Stormy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:51 am

volvite wrote:
I'd go back to the dealer and drive a new 2014/2015 on the lot and see if it makes the same sound. If it does not than I would talk to the service manger and ask him why they said it was normal when vehicles on their lot don't make the same sound. If nothing comes of it I would be going above the service managers head to his boss until the situation is resolved. No point in having a warranty if they are not willing to fix issues.
Thanks for the comments/suggestions. Still waiting to hear back from the Tech I spoke to on last week. He said he would investigate and get back with me... hmmm we will see.

Stormy

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:34 pm

I found this post on the NissanClub.com forum:

2013 ALTIMA - Nissan Admits Powering Steering Problem!
For those who are experiencing the high-pitch whine coming into the cabin, it is your newly designed power steering unit. Nissan knew of the high-pitch problem from its inception and that is why they used rubber mounting system to dissipate the high-pitch noise.

I have been working with Nissan corporate and they sent me to the local Nissan dealer. They bent the high pressure tubing to lesson the high-frequency pitch-in theory! Nissan knows it is a problem, this does not mean that Nissan will design a fix for it! So far corporate Nissan has been cordial, but we will see how long that lasts! Also, the new Pathfinder shares the same platform as the Altima and also shares the same power steering!

The full thread is located here: http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/2013-n ... oblem.html.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:52 pm

Horrible that Nissan knows about the issue but still produced it anyway.

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:36 pm

volvite wrote:Horrible that Nissan knows about the issue but still produced it anyway.
It appears to be the same deal with the CVT. :x

lapis

2015 Pathfinder same issue

Postby lapis » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:36 pm

I have owned my pathfinder for a few weeks and have noticed the same whining issue. I pin pointed it to the power steering area today. Have any of you found any solutions?

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:48 pm

Nope. Take it to the dealer and they will say it is normal.

lapis

dealer

Postby lapis » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:06 am

Is it worth taking to the dealer? If they say its normal. I live an hour from the dealer. I would hate to make the trip if there is nothing they can do.

Grumpah

Postby Grumpah » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:28 am

Probably not. Depends on how much it annoys you.

Return to “R52 Suspension and steering”