Rear trailing arms

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

bucata206

Rear trailing arms

Postby bucata206 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:44 pm

So i've been dealing with the death wobble for some time now. I rarely drive the Pathfinder, so I have not been too worried about replacing the trailing arms. Now that I am wanting to drive it more and have a need to drive it, I am looking to replace the upper and lower trailing arms.

That being said, I have a couple questions. Are the upper control arms the same on both sides? Rock Auto has it listed as fits right rear and left rear.

My next question is, is this an easy enough project to do at home, or is it worth the money to pay someone to do it? I know the bolts are a complete pain to get out, but I can figure out a way to get tools to do it. Also have an electric impact wrench that MAY work, but not holding my breath.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:05 pm

The two, upper links are the same part, left and right, and the two, lower links are the same part (but not the same as the upper links). I would recommend you get all, new bolts from Nissan and make sure you have a Sawzall. You may luck out and the bolts will come out, but it's still best to put new ones in a lube them up with anti-seize. If they are seized to the sleeve in the bushing, you can cut through them with the Sawzall. You can do them on the ground if you have to. Make sure you have a cum-along, too, in case you need to pull the rear end forward to get the bolts in the links (you can loop it around the axle---stay clear of the brake line---and hood the other end to the crossmember forward of the rear axle.

bucata206

Postby bucata206 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:18 pm

smj999smj wrote:The two, upper links are the same part, left and right, and the two, lower links are the same part (but not the same as the upper links). I would recommend you get all, new bolts from Nissan and make sure you have a Sawzall. You may luck out and the bolts will come out, but it's still best to put new ones in a lube them up with anti-seize. If they are seized to the sleeve in the bushing, you can cut through them with the Sawzall. You can do them on the ground if you have to. Make sure you have a cum-along, too, in case you need to pull the rear end forward to get the bolts in the links (you can loop it around the axle---stay clear of the brake line---and hood the other end to the crossmember forward of the rear axle.
Perfect thank you. I've been dreading this project. The mechanic I normally got to (older guy) isn't willing to try to do that project.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”