4wd/ABS/vdc off/slip lights all on

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Ar-45acp

4wd/ABS/vdc off/slip lights all on

Postby Ar-45acp » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:59 am

Trying to find a good start point to remedy this. Brake oil is full. Planning on checking wiring for corrosion or broke wires and cleaning the sensors today. Wheel bearings all feel okay. Steering wheel is off center slightly due to liars at tire shop not doing an alignment after I put a lift on it and got new tires a year ago. Thats a whole different story though. Any help appreciated

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:42 am

First thing to do would be to find out what codes are stored. You won't be able to do this with the typical OBD II code reader; one needs a Consult II or III scan tool or a generic scan tool that is capable of accessing the ABS and 4WD codes. There's a very good chance that it's just a faulty or dirty ABS sensor.

Ar-45acp

Postby Ar-45acp » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:51 am

Well took the fronts out and wiped them off, also wiped the rears off. Someone has been after them before RF has been hard wired after seeing that am just going to have it scanned sometime next week. Wouldn't mind having a scanner for it but no idea what generic one would do what I need and not cost a boatload of $$$

labsy

Postby labsy » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:44 pm

I guess your steering wheel not being aligned is not whole different story. It's very likely that it's the root cause of your troubles as described!

Wheel sensor actually "thinks" that your steering wheel is angled, so driving direction should be few degrees off the course, but it is not. So computer does not know, which information is correct, the one from steering wheel angle sensor or the one from wheel sensors.
So it shuts off, lighting all 4 lamps.

Go for proper alignment service, which might correct your steering wheel offset already. If your steering wheel will get into preset limits, the wheel alignment will also reset your error (...after driving at least few minutes).

But if it does not, then you might need steering wheel angle sensor neutral position reset. To adjust neutral position of steering angle sensor, make sure to use CONSULT-II. Adjustment cannot be done without CONSULT-II, which means you will need to visit some authorized service.

Ar-45acp

Postby Ar-45acp » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:34 pm

I was kind of wondering if the off center steering wheel was part of the problem it is about 4.5 degrees off. I have more work to do before it goes back for an alignment. I want to know that all of the bolts are free this time before it goes in. Maybe they will actually do the alignment and not just take the money like the last place.

labsy

Postby labsy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:10 am

Maybe pick another alignment service? :)

Ar-45acp

Postby Ar-45acp » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:37 am

For sure! I actually have turntables and will probably end up doing it myself this time. Just need to get them free or order all new.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:23 am

If the steering wheel is off center, that could definitely set those lights off due to the steering wheel position sensor reading. An alignment will need to be performed and then the steering wheel position will need to be re-learned using a capable scan tool.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:50 pm

If re aligned and it doesnt reset its self the re learn can be done but will cost you. Stealerships charge about $100 to do it but doesnt mean its good as it can trip the lights again if not aligned properly.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:34 pm

Takes about 5 minutes to re-learn the steering wheel position sensor with a scan tool. That's a quick $100 for the dealer!

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”