Help high pitched engine noise.

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Mon May 23, 2011 12:51 pm

Apparently it means "we'll ignore you for as long as possible". I've been trying to get a hold of the rep at Nissan that's handling my case for over a week and all I get is voicemail, voicemail, voicemail...and no returned calls. NOT PLEASED.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon May 23, 2011 6:49 pm

Man that sucks. Sorry you've been having so many problems. That does not show good customer care. I hope things turn out better for you.

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Tue May 24, 2011 8:06 am

Thanks- you and me both! We're actually in the process of relocating to central FL, so it would be "helpful" to have functioning AC sometime in the near future! :roll:

I was able to actually talk to my rep this morning (small miracle) and she's going to see what she can come up with as far as $ help from Nissan and SAID she'd call me on Friday with the results....we'll see (so far I'm not holding my breath).

Mac

Postby Mac » Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 pm

Crap. I logged in to post a question about a high pitched whine and found this thread.
Mine happens similar to whateveryone else described (louder when accelerating and goes away after a while) and I only have about 63k miles!

Mac

Postby Mac » Sat May 28, 2011 10:44 pm

shv2sail, what kind of airlift kit do you have? I have an 08 as well and I'm looking to put one in.

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Sun May 29, 2011 6:06 pm

As an update to my issue, Nissan regional "customer service" actually called me back on Friday with the exciting news that I can go screw myself...essentially. I believe their actual wording was "due to the amount of miles you're past our (CRAPPY) powertrain warranty, we are not inclined to help you AT ALL with any of the (extensive and ridiculous) repair costs." Even though these repairs are for items that SHOULD LAST THE LIFE OF THE VEHICLE, not fall apart at 90k miles. DAMN :x

Nissan is now officially on my "not another dime to them" list...any new vehicles, used vehicles, repairs, parts, air fresheners, etc will be from anyone on the planet BUT them - and I HIGHLY suggest everyone that reads this does the same! If I were in the financial position to unload the truck, I would do so in a heartbeat...

Hope they still cover you Mac...though you're 3k over the warranty so it'll be up to Nissan (good luck). I have the airlift 1000 that a lot of folks here have on their Pathfinders. Does do a nice job of dampening the rear-end softness and should help when towing. The stock rear springs are grocery-getter soft.

pawjr74

Postby pawjr74 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:49 pm

shv2sail wrote:As an update to my issue, Nissan regional "customer service" actually called me back on Friday with the exciting news that I can go screw myself...essentially. I believe their actual wording was "due to the amount of miles you're past our (CRAPPY) powertrain warranty, we are not inclined to help you AT ALL with any of the (extensive and ridiculous) repair costs." Even though these repairs are for items that SHOULD LAST THE LIFE OF THE VEHICLE, not fall apart at 90k miles. DAMN :x

Nissan is now officially on my "not another dime to them" list...any new vehicles, used vehicles, repairs, parts, air fresheners, etc will be from anyone on the planet BUT them - and I HIGHLY suggest everyone that reads this does the same! If I were in the financial position to unload the truck, I would do so in a heartbeat...

Hope they still cover you Mac...though you're 3k over the warranty so it'll be up to Nissan (good luck). I have the airlift 1000 that a lot of folks here have on their Pathfinders. Does do a nice job of dampening the rear-end softness and should help when towing. The stock rear springs are grocery-getter soft.
With all the issues my truck had I wasn't going to keep it after my extended warranty ran out. (75k mile extended warranty) I ultimately decided my next vehicle would also get better fuel economy. Don't get me wrong, I liked the Pathfinder and it did everything I asked it to do but I just didn't have the confidence in the truck to drive it past the warranty expiring.

shv2sail

Postby shv2sail » Tue May 31, 2011 7:19 am

That's the part that kills me - I love the truck...it's one of the best handing, does whatever I ask of it, perfect for the size of my family and all of my hobbies vehicles I have ever owned. Just wish it didn't have the life expectancy of a Yugo...that and a company that will actually stand behind its product and not leave its (once VERY loyal) customers swinging in the wind!

deermjd

Postby deermjd » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:48 am

I had this same issue with my timing chain last year and had it "repaired" under warranty by Nissan. I was under the impression that the original design of the timing chain guide was faulty and that the replacement part would not have this issue.

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed an engine whine that is similar to what I heard before. It is most noticeable at startup. Now I'm worried that the timing chains and guides will need to be replaced again. I'm definitely out of warranty as I have an '05 with 81k miles.

Has anyone experienced this issue with the timing chain after having it "repaired"? When I purchased my Pathfinder I was glad to learn that it had timing chain rather than a timing belt and would not require preventative replacement. The timing chain was replaced last year and now it may need it again.

NH07r51

v6 Nissan Engine HELL

Postby NH07r51 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Im going to dig this up again because.... Girlfriends maxima, timing chain, almost identical engine, quote 1800-2200... Sold..... my Pathy, my beloved pathy, is now starting to whine. I can just hear it coming , anyone know any preventive maintenance? going to trade her in after the winter I guess. Nissan should have been held responsible for this and recalled.

Kestral

Re: v6 Nissan Engine HELL

Postby Kestral » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:40 pm

NH07r51 wrote:Im going to dig this up again because.... Girlfriends maxima, timing chain, almost identical engine, quote 1800-2200... Sold..... my Pathy, my beloved pathy, is now starting to whine. I can just hear it coming , anyone know any preventive maintenance? going to trade her in after the winter I guess. Nissan should have been held responsible for this and recalled.
What year and how many miles on your Pathy?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:20 am

I purchased my Pathy used with 100k and it already had a whine now at 127k its the same whine. Might do the timing chain in a couple years after i finish other projects.

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”