Keyfob battery question

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

SoloVoyager

Keyfob battery question

Postby SoloVoyager » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:38 am

The key symbol on my Pathy's dashboard keeps flashing red. I'm a newbie to this car. Does it mean that I have to replace the fob's battery?

Or is this battery to fob communication that something is wrong?

Baffled here...advice appreciated...

SV

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:56 am

Most likely the FOB battery is dead or dying. Mine did the same thing and I had the same thought, but then decided to change the battery and it worked just fine.

Just pop it open carefully and replace. IIRC it's a CR2025.

SoloVoyager

Postby SoloVoyager » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:16 am

NmexMAX wrote:Most likely the FOB battery is dead or dying. Mine did the same thing and I had the same thought, but then decided to change the battery and it worked just fine.

Just pop it open carefully and replace. IIRC it's a CR2025.
Hey Nmex,

Cheers for the heads-up info. This red key light started flashing on the dashboard around the time it was really cold here (-25 C), and wouldn't let me start the ignition. The red light would flash intermittently when driving. But the red light also started flashing earlier last year, in the late summer.

Sorry for these newb questions:

1) Is it so that if the fob battery is low, the ignition switch won't turn either?

2) If the car battery itself is dead, even with a good battery in the fob, is it so that the doors won't open automatically with the fob (and then you have to use the manual key to open the front door)?

Cheers in advance for any further info...this car has a learning curve, for sure...

SV

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:35 am

I'm not sure on the details, but when mine was being really stubborn and I had to resort to using the actual key, I decided to change the FOB battery, and one you do that, it works like magic.

When they battery under the hood is dead, it will turn but then just die, not lock and not turn (key switch)

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:16 pm

Check page 96 in the link. It sounds like you are describing the Security Indicator Light.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R5 ... finder.pdf

I don't believe there is any dash light indicator for a low keyfob battery.
Last edited by AZ_Path on Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:33 pm

SoloVoyager wrote: This red key light started flashing on the dashboard around the time it was really cold here (-25 C), and wouldn't let me start the ignition. The red light would flash intermittently when driving. But the red light also started flashing earlier last year, in the late summer.
If you couldn't start the car the security system is malfunctioning and preventing the car from starting. It sounds like the extreme temp is causing a short somewhere.
SoloVoyager wrote: 1) Is it so that if the fob battery is low, the ignition switch won't turn either?
No, the ignition will turn without the fob. Preventing a vehicle from starting due to a key fob battery would be a very poor design that would cause a huge number of customer complaints. People lose or destroy fobs frequently. The vehicle needs to be operational with the key alone.
SoloVoyager wrote: 2) If the car battery itself is dead, even with a good battery in the fob, is it so that the doors won't open automatically with the fob (and then you have to use the manual key to open the front door)?
If your car battery is dead there is no power for your automatic door locks. The only way you can open the vehicle with a dead vehicle battery is manually inserting and turning the key.

Return to “R51 General Chat”