looking at a 2010 Rogue

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

looking at a 2010 Rogue

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:09 am

My work beater gave up the ghost on the way home on Friday, it was a 99 Honda Accord I bought for cheap a few years back. Didn't really owe me anything, but I'm upset as it really is worthless now, as it's now knocking like a son of a bitch due to an oil leak. (low on oil)

Started looking for a replacement and ended up finding a 2010 Rogue SL AWD with 106k kms (60k miles). Guy was asking $8900, got him down to $8500. It is 'rebuilt' status due to front end collision but I inspected the work done and am happy with it. It has a 2.5L engine and cvt transmission. I was pleasantly surprised at the level of power available. No squeaks or rattles, was pretty tight!

Anyone out there have any feedback on this car?
Last edited by disallow on Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:15 am

They're pretty decent on reliability from what I've seen. The CVT is most likely where you'll have issues and it won't be cheap to fix in most cases.

Honestly, if I was looking at compact crossovers of that vintage I'd have a hard time overlooking the RAV4, particularly with the V6. It's quite powerful and has similar mpg ratings (slightly worse in town, slightly better on the hwy) to the Rogue. It also has a better AWD system that can be locked into 50/50 power distribution at low speeds. I'd probably consider a much higher mileage RAV4 over a low mileage salvage title Rogue. I know you guys take it on the chin up there with vehicle pricing though so they may be priced bonkers compared to this.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:06 am

I would agree, would rather have a Honda or Toyota. But I can't justify the $4-5k premium. I also have a feeling this guy hasn't done all the reading on the Rogue, its in great shape, and the gold book is about $3-4k higher than his sell price. Granted its a salvage title, but I'm not overly concerned about that. For instance, my father in law bought a 2009 Rav4 (salvage title as well) 2WD for $13k last year. It only had 66k kms on it though, and is very clean. But I did notice that the back seat is not that comfortable, and the road noise is pretty bad as well. (could be tire related)

Besides, the AWD feature on these crossovers is there more for a vehicle stability function, rather than for off-roading like in our Pathfinders, and based on the reading I've done, the Rogue system should be more than adequate, without sacrificing too much on the fuel economy side. There is a lock feature as well, that cuts out at somewhere between 10 and 25 MPH depending who you believe, so that's a nice feature.

The criteria for us was something that can handle our 3 kids, has AWD/Traction control/VDC, but still a 4-banger to save on gas. I put about 75-100 miles per day on the vehicle for my work commute (all highway) and fuel economy is important, though perhaps a little less so with gas prices being much less right now.

I'm very comfortable with Nissan's VDC systems, and I've seen some very positive reviews of them in the crossovers.

Agree on the transmission, will need to learn more about the CVT and the maintenance regime.

Thanks for the feedback.

t

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:54 pm

The Rogue is pretty good; it's one of the better, current, Nissan vehicles. There is the occasional head gasket failure (had one in the shop about six months ago...a 2010) which does occur on some QR25DE engines. Some of the RAV-4's with the 2.4L gave a much worse problem involving the head bolts corroding into the block. If you get the Rav-4, try and get the V6 version.
The Rogue's AWD system is not the best out there in heavy snow and if you see that kind of weather, winter tires make a big improvement. The Subaru Outback and Forester have a far better AWD system, although the older ones have had their head gasket issues, as well.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:03 am

We've decided to move forward with the Rogue i mentioned in the previous posts. The value proposition is really good, and I need a newer vehicle in the fleet, as I find I've been spending too much time keeping my older vehicles running. Its a decision we've made as a family, my wife is staying home with the kids, and therefore it means older vehicles for us! :)

As I mentioned, the Rogue is a salvage title. The damage was caused by a front end collision, looks like it was more focused on the driver's side based on what I can see. They replaced most of the front frame assembly in the engine bay, including radiator, condensor, but the engine itself has no damage at all. So also would be new hood, bumper, etc.

Here is the list of stuff I told him to fix:

1. The radiator support bracket is actually missing on the passenger side. He will replace.

2. The map lights needed to be repaired, there was a bulb missing, as well as one of the lenses. Not sure why this is a problme, but he said he would fix it.

3. The hood needs to be adjust, but I was overall pretty happy with the paint and spacing, just the height needs to be adjusted.

Other than those items, I couldn't find anything I needed to complain about. Will hear back from him on Wednesday or so and we can go inspect and then do the transaction if everything is up to snuff.

One of the things I was impressed with was when I wanted to take it for a test drive. The radiator needed to be filled up. The technician brought out a jug of Nissan premix to fill it up, instead of a generic coolant. I was really impressed by this, as I would think most shops would just use a generic coolant. This may be an indication of how they did the rest of the work, at least I hope so! :)

t

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:42 am

8) Nice! Congrats!

Return to “General Automotive”