squealing when wet

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

EricD

squealing when wet

Postby EricD » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:00 am

Hey guys,
I've had my Pathy for about 3 months. Now that we've been getting snow and the roads are wet, my truck has this high pitched squeal when moving slow. I noticed it backing out of my garage, and out of parking spaces. (so really slow moving) once I get moving it goes away.
It sounds like the warning tab they put on brake pads when they wear down, but I don't think it's that (bought the truck 3 months ago from stealership...they said the pads were replaced....I haven't actually looked yet).
It only happens when it's been wet out. Like something rusts up while Im in work.
Anyone ever heard of this? Are there grease nipples on the axle?(I just wanted to say nipples). Other places to grease?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Eric

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:20 am

Well, I wouldn't necessarily believe the dealer. It would be best to have the brakes inspected. Keep in mind, rotors are cast iron and they will rust when the vehicle is not moving for any length of time. Pad composition also has a lot to do with low speed brake noise and cheaper pads tend to be noisier and/or create more dust than more costly, quality pads. The brake hardware also needs to be lubed with a high-temperature grease, like "copper-slip," which often goes overlook and is essential for proper brake function and low-speed noise reduction.
Axles are lubed by the gear oil in the rear end. Grease fittings are becoming a rarity on late models, but, if present, will be on steering linkage joints, ball joints and U-joints.

EricD

Postby EricD » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:28 pm

Update....
I took a look at my brake pads, they look fine. Def not new, but not worn either. I spoke with the service guy at the stealership and was told that it's perfectly normal. Condensation gets between the rotors and pads and will squeal until they warm up and dry themselves off.
I've never had this happen on any other vehicle I've owned and I've never heard of this.
Do you think this is a legit reason for the squeal?

Return to “General Automotive”