Rad question..

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

kingfisher73

Rad question..

Postby kingfisher73 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:04 pm

Hello all.. Just a quick question.. It seems my Rad is leaking at one corner..
Doesn't seem to be alot.. And there's no way I can afford another plus labour..
Just wanted your guys opinion on the bardols stop leak.. That stuff you put in the Rad.. I hear it's like tiny alum shavings.. Finds the hole.. Temp fix.. But I don't know what else to do?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Rad question..

Postby eieio » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:51 pm

kingfisher73 wrote:Hello all.. Just a quick question.. It seems my Rad is leaking at one corner..
Doesn't seem to be alot.. And there's no way I can afford another plus labour..
Just wanted your guys opinion on the bardols stop leak.. That stuff you put in the Rad.. I hear it's like tiny alum shavings.. Finds the hole.. Temp fix.. But I don't know what else to do?
like you said: "Temp fix..."
you'll never know when it will leak again, or worse yet, rupture
the potential expense of that happening is miniscule compared the the cost of a new radiator
:wink:

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:56 pm

I don't recommend any of that stuff. Only way to do it is to do it right and replace the radiator, IMO. You can get aftermarket rads on Ebay for around $75.
If it's just a small area on the radiator that you can pinpoint, you can use JB Weld or a similar two-part epoxy for a temporary repair. You may have to drain the coolant partially so it won't leak and epoxy can set properly. Clean the area with brake cleaner and dry thoroughly before applying the epoxy.

kingfisher73

Postby kingfisher73 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:31 am

Ok thx guys.. I don't think it's much of a leak.. Sometimes there are no drops at all.. Other times half a teaspoon..

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”