Relearning tpms sensors

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

pathfinderspot10

Relearning tpms sensors

Postby pathfinderspot10 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:55 pm

I've always loved the pathfinder oem 18"s rims. I had this great deal and got them for $350 from a car lot. I took the 17"'s of my pathfinder and installed the 18"'s. Now on the screen they have asterisk on all 4 tires. How do i get it to read the sensors from the new wheels?

I love how it looks now. :)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:34 pm

If you don't have a trigger tool, you can do this:

Set your tire pressures as follows:
37 psi @ left front
33 psi @ right front
30 psi @ right rear
27 psi @ left rear

Look under the driver's side of the dash and fine the TPMS diagnostic connector. It'll be a white, 2-pin connector with one wire to it and it'll run off the same harness as the OBD II connector; it may be wrapped in blue tape.

Get a tool to ground the connector. It can be a unbent paper clip that you can use as a ground between the pin with the wire to it and the OBD II connector's mount bracket...or a piece of copper wire that's long enough to reach a chassis ground from the TPMS connector.

Turn the key to the key "on" and engine "off" position.

Tap your tool against your ground to ground the circuit, 6-10 times within 10 seconds and the TPMS warning light should illuminate solid.

Tap the circuit to ground, again, and the TPMS warning light should start flashing as it enters program mode.

Start and drive the vehicle at speeds over 25 mph until the TPMS light stops flashing, which usually takes somewhere between 5-15 minutes. When it stops flashing, you can park the vehicle, turn it off and reset your tire pressures to their proper settings.

If you have a TPMS trigger tool, which usually runs about $50-75, you can save some time and just not have to deal with resetting the tires pressures differently nor driving the vehicle. Just enter the programming mode as described earlier. In the following order, put the trigger tool next to the tire near the tire valve stem and press the button on the trigger tool. The exterior lights should flash when it accepts the sensor. Start at the left front, then go to the right front, right rear and left rear. If the lights don't flash or the procedure doesn't complete, you may have a weak or dead battery in one or more of the sensors.

pathfinderspot10

Postby pathfinderspot10 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:39 pm

Thank you! I will try it this weekend.

jrobers

Postby jrobers » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:19 pm

Thats a pretty sweet deal! Im stuck with an SE on 16s!

pathfinderspot10

Postby pathfinderspot10 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:05 pm

Jrobers have you checked on Craigslist in your area? You might find a deal there on the website.

jrobers

Postby jrobers » Fri May 13, 2016 9:26 pm

I'll keep my eyes open.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”