R51 battery?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

R51 battery?

Postby Kestral » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:28 pm

Ok so we all know that the R51 factory battery does not last long mine was dead in two years. So how long are you all getting out of your replacement battery?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:42 am

I did a Costco special, $99.

So far I am on my 2nd replacement in 4 yrs, though I wonder if I have a short somewhere causing the battery to drain. Batteries don't like that.

porksoda

Postby porksoda » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:36 pm

I replaced my battery about 2 years ago with a Sears Diehard Gold 24F with no problems yet. It is sold as a 3 year warranty battery.
I think most batteries tend to last about 3-4 years nowadays due to the cheaper production and most batteries are not serviceable.
I just purchased an Advance Auto Parts AutoCraft Platinum AGM 24F for my Altima. I am thinking about swapping the batteries from the Altima and Pathfinder since they take the same size.
I'd rather have a AGM battery in the Pathfinder since we use that vehicle more then the Altima.
I would pick an AGM over a regular wet cell battery mainly, because they seems to be better built, stronger power ratings, and no corrosion.

I hear to avoid the Optima batteries now because they are made much cheaper then they have been made in prior years. They used to be produced in Colorado but once they sold out to JCI batteries they moved them to Mexico to produce them and using cheaper materials.
My brother works at a parts store and he says the Optima batteries are the most problematic from the whole lineup they carry.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:30 am

I replace mine with Everstart MAXX batteries from Walmart. They are always highly rated by Consumer Reports and I get about 4 years out of them. They used to have a fantastic 8-year pro-rated warranty, but they've cut that back over the last couple of years. Now, it's 3-years plus 2-years pro-rated, 750 CCA and it's always easy to find a Walmart if I have to bring it back.

Return to “R51 General Chat”