Euro/UK vs US differences? Known issues?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

SETI20

Euro/UK vs US differences? Known issues?

Postby SETI20 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:16 pm

So, something I'm contemplating. May or may not be realistically doable.

My wife and I moved to Canada a number of years ago, and we have this little 25yr old Honda in storage. It has emotional value more than anything. We moved to a place where we have room to park it, so it's time to bring it over (at considerable expense)

We love our pathfinder. But we really wish it was a Diesel. We're toying with the idea that if we're bringing the Honda over in a container instead of roll-on roll-off, to bring over a Euro spec'd pathfinder as well. The little CRX won't even take up a third of a container.

I've been poking around in the Dutch classifieds for a fully loaded LE, and seems there's actually some offerings. But I'm curious if any of our Euro/UK friends are aware of any issues I'd have to be on the lookout for.
Any serious recalls like the nightmare I went through with the transmission on my current pathy?

Looks like the Dutch LE versions have goodies like the privacy cargo cover, headlight washers, reverse camera and block warmer switch. Fun!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:15 pm

I know they have a lot of rear door handles that break!

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:02 am

There is a difference in the type of tow bar they use. On the Euro Spec PF you can't use a Weight Distributing hitch. I wonder if one could fit the North American version of the tow bar.

There seem to be no issues with the radiatior.

People have complained about some of the diesel specific stuff, ie DPF plugging, derating, etc. Would be really hard to get support for this over here.

Also, since the diesel platform is not approved by Transport Canada, or Environment Canada, don't you have to wait until the truck reaches 'collectors' status? I think that is 15 years. But this I don't know for sure.

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:46 pm

I haven't been able to get a clear cut answer. Because this vehicle was available in Canada, one source says I can just import it. Another source says because it's a different model, I need to get it approved by the MTO. Insurance company doesn't care. It's a pathfinder so they'll just take it as a pathfinder.
So far, no solid answer about the engine being different.
I'm also not sure where to have that serviced - what the NA equivalent would be.

You're somewhat right about the 15 year thing. Our little Honda can just come over, despite the safety, lighting, engine etc being completely different. Back in '90 the CRX came with a 168Hp double cam engine, while here in North America you guys for a puny 115HP single cammer.

Return to “R51 General Chat”