Radio draining battery

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

BlackR51

Radio draining battery

Postby BlackR51 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:34 pm

I have owned this 2005 Pathfinder SE for a couple months now. Has the factory Bose radio. The only things I've changed were the battery and rebuilt the transmission.

I went away for a few days and came back to a dead battery. Figured I left a dome light on, no big deal. Jumped it and was fine. Didn't drive it for a day about a week later and dead again. Took it to advanced to get tested and was told the alternator and battery were good but there was an 1.65A drain on the battery. Alternator charges average 13.7v. hooked a multimeter inline with the battery cable and started to pull fuses. Traced it to the 20A radio fuse under the hood.

Has anyone else had an issue with this or a fix? I don't want to take the fuse out every time I turn it off in fear of it dying overnight.

glassywater

Postby glassywater » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:08 pm

I have had this same issue and about the same amount of battery drain with they key off. I have an 08 with the LCD screen. My dash unit holds the LCD screen, radio, A/C, etc. I tried unplugging each component on the back, one at a time and was not able to narrow down the source. I replaced the battery, but rarely leave my car for more than a day or two without driving, so it doesn't really impact me. Hopefully, I don't have to leave it at the airport anytime soon. I posted a thread a while back and didn't get much response. Maybe someone else can chime in...

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:45 pm

50-milliamps of parasitic draw is acceptable; more than that is a problem. It could be the radio that is the cause of the draw. If you want to keep the Bose unit, there are several places that you can find online, including Bose Corp., that will rebuild it for a fee. But, before that, I would get a wiring diagram and check to see if anything but the radio runs off of that fuse.

Return to “R51 Electrical”