The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
2017 R52

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R52 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: 2017 R52 Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Saw this on the weekend:

http://www.nissanusa.com/suvs/2017-pathfinder

States that they have raised the engine rating from 260HP/240ftlb to 284HP/259ftlb. Along with that bump, the tow capacity went from a respectable (for a CUV) 5000lbs to whopping 6000lbs, to match the tow rating for the R51.

I won't be running out to order one of these, but am intrigued, as one of the main purposes of getting our R51 was the towing capability. If the R52 is actually capable of pulling 6000lbs without too many 'exceptions', I wonder if it might be a viable option in the future.

To be clear, the criteria was, don't want a full size truck for a capability I only need less than 2% of the time.

And by 'exceptions' I mean that they don't prevent you from using a Weight Distributing hitch (don't know this yet) or have some crazy restriction on front facing area, etc etc.

Thoughts?

t

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 315000kms (195000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By immediate concern would be the ability of the CVT transmission to handle that much towing capacity. It hasn't exactly had the reliability factor of the 5-speed automatic transmission used in the R51 Pathfinder and other vehicles.
JayArras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you think Nissan would discourage you from using a weight distribution hitch on the 2017. Doing so improves the rear sag significantly on my '13 SL. The '17 is also supposed to have beefier rear suspension. Any improvement would be welcome because the current one is sad.

BTW, most comments I've read about towing with the current R52, including my own experience, have been positive. The CVT, despite its other problems, seems to be capable in that area.
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dd is a 2010 Rogue, which we haven't had issue with yet.

The biggest roadblock (for me) is pulling a huge tt with a fwd vehicle that is closer to a minivan than it is to a truck. I get enough sideways looks, honks on the highway and comments with my truck based R51... lol

Good to hear your experience.

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 315000kms (195000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
00pathySE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 07 Altima with the 3.5 and CVT an it has been great. I hav heard that the majority of reliability issues have been with the 2.5l version.

I like how they mention the 17 Pathfinder has also been SAE certified to tow that weight as well. Usually a certification only left to full size Trucks and the only vehicle in its class to have that certification. Sounds like Nissan is making the right sort of changes to the r52.
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've had a lot of problems with the CVT's in the early R52 Pathfinders, among other issues. It was rated by Consumer Reports at the bottom of its class as far as reliability.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R52 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: