Squishy Brake Pedal

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

DainBramaged

Squishy Brake Pedal

Postby DainBramaged » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:03 am

My '06 pathy stops just fine. I can get the ABS to engage if I try; but the brake pedal has a lot of "give" in it. I examined all of the pads. The fronts are at 40% and the rears are at 60%.

What should I check?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:00 pm

I think that's pretty much par for these vehicles, but you could try bleeding the brake system and flushing the old fluid out of it. Just make sure you follow the proper procedure per the service manual.

C

Postby C » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:13 pm

Agreed. Everything I've read indicates that brakes are not the Pathy's strong suit, and I would agree. They're not terrible, but they're no racing setup for sure.

But, a correctly done fluid change with thorough bleeding after definitely firms up pedal feel and reduces sponginess. It should remove alot of that 'give' and the brakes should start to bite earlier in the pedal's stroke. It's always a good (and inexpensive) place to start with the symptoms you describe for any vehicle anyway. A little air in the system can make even the best sports car brakes feel very spongy until it's bled out.

DainBramaged

Postby DainBramaged » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Well, I've always noticed it's a bit squishy, but it's seemed as if it's gotten a bit worse. I know on another car, it was a sign that the master cylinder was going. Would that be the case here, too? Any way to check?

C

Postby C » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:53 pm

I couldn't rule out the master cylinder, but personally (anyone else certainly feel free to chime in here), with the symptoms you're describing, I wouldn't view the master cylinder as the most likely culprit. I'd start with replacing the fluid and thoroughly bleeding the brakes so that there is no air remaining and then see where you're at.

Here's a thread regarding master cylinder replacement to take a look at: http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... b249341d32

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”