Fuel leak on my '06 Pathfinder SE

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

BadDriver4Life

Fuel leak on my '06 Pathfinder SE

Postby BadDriver4Life » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:22 pm

My Pathy stalled on us while driving in town, when we parked, we noticed that fuel leaked from the top of the gas tank when we turned the key ON. I removed the gas tank and noticed that my output fuel line was disconnected. I figured I must have a bad fuel retaining clip, so I bought a replacement GM retaining clip that looked and felt identical from my local auto parts store and put it back together. About five days later again, same issue. I dropped the gas tank and again, the fuel line was disconnected. I put another retaining clip and connected the fuel line back to the fuel pump. Out of curiosity, I applied some pull force with my hand to see if the clip would hold, it did for a while but then it came off. I then reinserted the original to see if it would take the same amount of force and it did to my surprise, I was expecting it to have less resistance. So once again I put a new retaining clip and left the gas tank lowered enough to see the fuel line connectors and started the Pathy. After running a few minutes, it turned off and spilled gas all over my driveway, again fuel line came off. So I used my last retaining clip and reinstalled the gas tank. I turned ON the Pathy and drove it into my garage. Now I don't feel safe driving it around the block as it's been towed twice for the same issue.

So with that said, has anyone had this issue? If so, what was the solution? I'm starting to think that my fuel pump is failing and thus is putting too much pressure that its pushing the fuel line off. I'm thinking of buying a new fuel pump and fuel line cause Nissan doesn't sell the retaining clip only. Before I do, I'd like some advice before making the expense. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA - BadDriver4Life

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:09 am

Definitely sounds like a pump issue. Weird and very dangerous failure mode! And expensive I would imagine.

The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump, otherwise I would have said check the fuel filter, maybe its creating a restriction that is making the pressure in the supply line too high.

Could be a problem with the pressure bypass as well.

Any codes?

t

BadDriver4Life

Postby BadDriver4Life » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:59 pm

Thank you for the response. I was thinking it was a bad retaining clip so I was about to order a new set prior to reading your post. I'm a DYI type of guy and have already changed the fuel sending unit on my fuel pump, so getting in there is no biggie. So you're saying the fuel filter might be the problem, as in its dirty and creating the additional pressure? I thought about there being too much pressure in the system but stuck to the idea of the bad retaining clips as I was using a GM brand from my local auto store. I did think about buying a new fuel pump thinking that mine was fine. I wonder if I use a fuel pump pressure tester it will show the high pressure. Even if I did, I'd have to look up the proper pressure range.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:26 pm

Fuel pressure is 50 PSI. The fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator are integral to the fuel pump module. It could be that the pressure is too high; that would make sense especially if you can't see any issues with the fuel hose fittings on the top of the fuel pump module. Of course, the only way to be sure it to measure the pressure.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:34 pm

BadDriver4Life wrote:Thank you for the response. I was thinking it was a bad retaining clip so I was about to order a new set prior to reading your post. I'm a DYI type of guy and have already changed the fuel sending unit on my fuel pump, so getting in there is no biggie. So you're saying the fuel filter might be the problem, as in its dirty and creating the additional pressure? I thought about there being too much pressure in the system but stuck to the idea of the bad retaining clips as I was using a GM brand from my local auto store. I did think about buying a new fuel pump thinking that mine was fine. I wonder if I use a fuel pump pressure tester it will show the high pressure. Even if I did, I'd have to look up the proper pressure range.
SMJ will be able to respond with more experience, but its definitely something I would check, as far as whether the pressure is getting too high.

Can you 'jigaboo' a different clamp to see if you can get the hose to stay in place?

BadDriver4Life

Postby BadDriver4Life » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Thank you guys for the input. I'll make a trip to my local auto store to rent their fuel pressure kit. Now that I know what the PSI should be, it should be easy to determine if its high. I'm planning on replacing the fuel pump and buying the correct retaining clip. Is there a chance it could be something else other than the fuel pump? The female connector looks good, no apparent damage is visible, it looks and feels good.

I thought of putting a zip tie or a some Mickey Mouse device to hold it in place, the problem is, there's really no space in there. Once I get the PSI reading, I'll post the results.

BadDriver4Life

No joy!

Postby BadDriver4Life » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:05 pm

So initially I thought my fuel pump was the problem, after reading up on fuel pump failures and talking to a mechanic, it turns out my pump is good. I ordered the correct Nissan clip and received it today, i installed it but it still slips out. I tugged on it lightly and to my surprise it slipped out. Just for kicks I tugged on another line but the clip held, same amount of pull and it didn't budge. So now I'm wondering if its my fuel line that's bad, could it be that the female connector is worn? I looked at a Nissan fuel diagram and it shows the line but only shows it as a short line. I checked my line and it goes all the way to the motor area. Any thoughts on what to check next? I'm thinking of buying the fuel line but I need to make sure its the full run, otherwise I don't have the means to splice a new fuel line to my existing fuel line.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:02 am

It should just connect to a metal line along the inside of the frame rail. It shouldn't be very long and definitely not all the way to the engine.

Return to “R51 General Chat”