06 Pathy hit 177K miles now what?

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

linarema

06 Pathy hit 177K miles now what?

Postby linarema » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:35 am

Hey all, looking for some thoughts on "how long will she go?"

We hit 177K and she's looking good but somethings just doesn't feel like they used to. Regularly maintained at my local highly trusted shop (switched from dealer years ago). Oil changed every 3K, radiator swapped out a couple of years ago. Good newish tires, recent battery. She left me stranded this week but due to cam and crank shaft sensors, now replaced.
She feels a little loose when doing my daily 25K interstate commute. Cosmetically she looks like new!

So how many more miles can I expect to get from the old girl? Any suggested maintenance to get the old tight feeling back?

I cannot even begin to think about the new Pathfinders, looks too much like a van and the cargo hold will not meet my needs as I need to stuff 4 dog crates in the back from time to time and only this R51 will hold them comfortably. I've been looking at the 4RNR but don't want to go there if I don't have to.

Thanks for your advise!

BMXPath

Postby BMXPath » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:02 am

I'm right with you. I have a 198K on my '05 and she is still going strong.

I've replaced the cam and crank sensors, the IPDM module, the fuel sending unit, the radiator is aftermarket and I've done the bypass... blah, blah.

I use synthetic and change the oil every 5,000 miles. I usually change the oil myself and inspect the undercarriage while I have it in the air. I'm surprised I haven't needed any wheel bearings, CV boots, or any other wear and tear suspension components yet.

One thing I had happen recently (last month), one of the heater hose assemblies started leaking. It was the larger of the two that goes to the heater core in the fire wall. I replaced it and put new coolant in the system. I ended up replacing the other one shortly after.
So, you might want to check your hose assemblies. I say assembly because the one that started leaking was leaking from a plastic fitting that attaches at the firewall. The plastic piece was not available separate from the hole heater hose assembly.

Check the serp belt tensioner and ilder pulleys.

I don't know what to say about the loose feeling. Mine seems the same as when I bought her (10 years ago).

After 10 years and putting 182K of those miles on myself, I'm happy that the engine still feels strong and it doesn't smoke, or burn any oil.
Last edited by BMXPath on Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

linarema

Postby linarema » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:09 am

BMXPath wrote:I'm right with you. I have a 198K on my '05 and she is still going strong.
Thanks for the info BMX and WOW on your 198K!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:32 pm

I am sure SMJ will chime in soon esp since he has an 05 or 06 Pathy with somewhere around 150,000 miles and he knows the truck inside and out. That being said the motor will keep going esp if you take care of it I have read many posts on several Nissan forums now where people have put many thousands of miles on the VQ40 DE V6. If you don't have timing chain noise or you have already replaced it this motor holds up.

Other then replacing shocks and bushings in the suspension to make it ride better and if your frame is not all rusted out the truck should last many miles. I am not sure how long the transmission will hold up but if it's maintained it should last a Long time.

linarema

Postby linarema » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Kestral wrote:I am sure SMJ will chime in soon esp since he has an 05 or 06 Pathy with somewhere around 150,000 miles and he knows the truck inside and out. That being said the motor will keep going esp if you take care of it I have read many posts on several Nissan forums now where people have put many thousands of miles on the VQ40 DE V6. If you don't have timing chain noise or you have already replaced it this motor holds up.

Other then replacing shocks and bushings in the suspension to make it ride better and if your frame is not all rusted out the truck should last many miles. I am not sure how long the transmission will hold up but if it's maintained it should last a Long time.
Thanks Kestral, I'll need to check my records but the timing chain does not sound like something I've replaced in the last few years. I don't hear any timing chain noise to be sure. I will have he shocks and bushings checked - hadn't thought about that on this vehicle. It's pretty mint really, I've babied it but it has gone long ways. I used to drive it to Florida pretty regularly, and also had year stint of 100 mile commute each way (don't ask!).

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:42 pm

How long will a vehicle last is like asking how long will a person live; there really is no way to give an answer unless there are signs of the inevitable. Keeping it maintained is the best way to make it last. Not all VQ40DE's will need the upper timing chains replaced; it all depended on how much wear was on the dies when the chain links were stamped out. If there's no noise, then there's no reason to be concerned about. As far as how the ride quality is, have the steering and suspension components inspected. If the struts and shocks are original, it might be a good time to replace them. If the steering parts are tight, then it might be worth doing a wheel alignment if that hasn't been done within the past year.

Somber Goat

Postby Somber Goat » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:46 pm

Just hit 207k on my '05 this month!

Radiator: Replaced
Transmission: Replaced
Shocks/Struts: All 4 corners Replaced
Fuel Sending Unit: Replaced
Cam/Crank Sensors: Replaced
Catalytic Converters: Replaced
U-Joints: On my 3rd now!
Rear deck & Window Struts: Replaced
Blown rear Subwoofer: Turned bass completely off at HU ;)

Cosmetics: Bah! I bought used in '07 and 6 months later realized I had a lemon paint job, could careless about a respray now and just roll with the scars, gives it character! lol

Keep it aligned & check fluids often and you should be fine. With all I've replaced/fixed I could have already put a down payment down on something else but I don't want anything so else the dream lives on!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:00 pm

You can get replacement speakers for the factory subwoofer from Bose. The last time I checked they were about $67 each, FYI.

Somber Goat

Postby Somber Goat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:30 am

smj999smj wrote:You can get replacement speakers for the factory subwoofer from Bose. The last time I checked they were about $67 each, FYI.
Really? I though it was a proprietary size for Nissan specifically therefore causing the price for replacement to be unrealistic. Did you go directly to the Bose site? or call them directly?

If I can score a replacement at that price I'll spend the half day it will take removing the 3rd seat and that plastic housing around the sub.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:42 am

I'm at 175k miles.
Somber Goat wrote:
Radiator: Replaced Me too
Transmission: Replaced No Issues
Shocks/Struts: All 4 corners Replaced Did my rears a few years ago, I have the fronts but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the originals are actually still fine.
Fuel Sending Unit: Replaced No Issues
Cam/Crank Sensors: Replaced Have done the Crank Sensor
Catalytic Converters: Replaced My ECM thinks mine are bad (P0420, P0430), but I don't believe it. Running with CEL, and will get around to replacing the O2 sensors at some point. Still runs great!
U-Joints: On my 3rd now! me too!
Rear deck & Window Struts: Replaced just the rear lift gate, not the glass for me
Blown rear Subwoofer: Turned bass completely off at HU ;) no issues for me

Cosmetics: Bah! I bought used in '07 and 6 months later realized I had a lemon paint job, could careless about a respray now and just roll with the scars, gives it character! lol Same for me. I do a wire brush and spray with black rust paint of the tailgate and the rear wheel wells about once a year, it passes the 50/50 test. 50ft and 50MPH, it looks perfect!
Somber Goat wrote: Keep it aligned & check fluids often and you should be fine. With all I've replaced/fixed I could have already put a down payment down on something else but I don't want anything so else the dream lives on!
Me too! I'm keeping this thing forever.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:20 pm

Bose Corp. has components for most of their systems installed as factory equipment in automotive products. I had one of the subwoofer speakers go on my 2008 R51. I ended up getting the speaker repaired by Simply Speakers in FL, but, with the cost of shipping and the price of the repair, I could have gotten a brand new speaker from Bose. The only thing you can get from Nissan is the entire subwoofer box as an assembly, which is very expensive. From Bose, you can get individual speakers for the box. I ran a thread with the info you need, including the speaker part #:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 66aee488fe

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:27 am

A good friend of mine has a 2010 with over 250k miles on it. Recently replaced front wheel bearings and it's still going like a champ.

Return to “R51 General Chat”