Speedometer cable

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

jollygreengiant1973

Speedometer cable

Postby jollygreengiant1973 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:14 pm

Hello! I am a little over my head with all the problems my pathfinder has. The speedo cable is hanging, this is a 4x4. I can see where it goes on the transfer case (im not new at repairing rides just been a chevy man for a lot of years)
My problem is the cable has female threads, the transaxle part has no threads. is there a part missing?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:14 pm

It's best to provide information such as model year and transmission type when posting questions. Also, a picture of what you have on the transfer case can be very helpful. To post pictures, you'll need a service like Photobucket to post the URL link into your message.
There should be a speedometer pinion assembly that inserts into your transfer case and held in by a single, 10MM head bolt. The cable should thread onto the pinion assembly. I know speedometer cables were used on the early WD21 Pathfinders; it's possible that later models may have switched from cable to an electronic speed sensor. If this was the case, it would still have the pinion assembly, but it would have a harness connector and not utilize a cable to it. I'm mentioning this just in case somebody replaced the transfer case with a later model (or installed the wrong pinion assembly for some reason) and it has the wrong pinion assembly for your vehicle.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”