The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Buying R51 for towing travel trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevinb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:00 pm    Post subject: Buying R51 for towing travel trailer Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forum, but have read much helpful info already on towing. I plan to buy a Pathfinder specifically for towing a small travel trailer. 18 to 23 feet, likely on the shorter end of that since just for the two of us and of course I will buy an ultra light. We will be doing significant amount of towing in the mountains. So my question is should I go for the V8? One came up for sale in my area and they seem quite rare, is it worth it for what I plan? They say the pulled a 26 foot Jayco with it, 6500 lbs wet. Maybe I don't want it, that sounds like a little too much....

anyhow, thanks for any help

Bevin B

Edmonton, AB
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The V8 will give you some added power, but the V6 will do the job. I would recommend installing Airlift 1000 air bags in the rear and a weight distributing hitch if you are going that heavy.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
AZ_Path

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How heavy is your trailer going to be? Are you only using the Pathfinder to tow or will you be driving it other times? I went with the V6 because we use it as our family vehicle and as smj said, the V6 gets the job done. I didn't want to pay for all the extra gas for the V8. If I was doing a significant amount of mountain towing the V8 would be nice, but only necessary if your over 5K lbs in my opinion.

6500 isn't too much for the V8. It's rated for 7k and the engine is capable of far more being the same engine a the Titan / Aramada.
kaktus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Buying R51 for towing travel trailer Reply with quote

I towed a 26' travel trailer with my v8 pathfinder. It had about the same weight of 6500 pounds when loaded. It really wasn't that great of a experience. The pathfinder gear ratio is not good for towing. I installed the airlift bags on my pathfinder as well but I still needed it to be stiffer in the rear. I actually blew a airbag but luckily they sent me a replacement as they have a lifetime warranty. Without the airbags that much weight will crush your rear suspension down. The suspension is just not good enough to tow that much weight comfortably. Is it possible? Yes it is. Would I recommend it no I would not. We really need a bigger vehicle with a longer and wider wheel base to help stabilize the trailer.

bevinb wrote:
Hi, new to the forum, but have read much helpful info already on towing. I plan to buy a Pathfinder specifically for towing a small travel trailer. 18 to 23 feet, likely on the shorter end of that since just for the two of us and of course I will buy an ultra light. We will be doing significant amount of towing in the mountains. So my question is should I go for the V8? One came up for sale in my area and they seem quite rare, is it worth it for what I plan? They say the pulled a 26 foot Jayco with it, 6500 lbs wet. Maybe I don't want it, that sounds like a little too much....

anyhow, thanks for any help

Bevin B

Edmonton, AB
ZPOC RDY

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at trailers for a while and finding something I can use with my family hasn't been too difficult for the weight capacity. However, I'm having a hard time finding something with a max tongue weight of 600 lbs. I'm not experienced towing a trailer, but in the interest of longevity, I'd rather not push the limits

What options are there to increase the tongue capacity (or overall tow capacity) or otherwise help with the heavier loads?
I already plan on getting the AirLift 1000 kit, and down the road will get the Rancho Quicklift and spacers

List of Nissan's I've owned
2000 Nissan Maxima GXE - 11/05-3/06
1995 Nissan 240sx - 4/06-4/09
2012 Nissan Altima 2.5S in Super Black - 7/13-now
2010 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 in Dark Slate Gray - 1/16-now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 General Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: