ISO of a 2011 or 2012 PF

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

miamicuse

ISO of a 2011 or 2012 PF

Postby miamicuse » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:53 am

Current owner of a 1999.5 PF with 250,000 miles with a failing transmission and needing new brakes and tires and air conditioning not working...so decided it is time to let that go.

Looking for a 2011 or 2012 PF now.

Trying to decide between Carmax or getting a CPO from a Nissan dealer.

I have never bought a used car before. This would be the first time. I heard that CPO is the way to go, but when I searched for CPO experience online I saw so many compliants about dealers not honoring warranties and other horror stories. So my take away is a CPO is only as good as the extensive inspection they do before they put it on the market.

My specific questions are:

(1) If I am looking at a used PF from a private seller, or Carmax etc...do they have places (mechanics) I can take it to where they would for a fee, perform the same checklist as a CPO vehicle would go through? Not to "certify" it as CPO, but to know that it passes all the tests a "CPO quality PF" would have gone through?

(2) Are CPO cars less negotiable then a "regular" used car?

(3) Anything I should be aware of regarding the 2011/2012 models?

Thanks for any comments and advice.

pathy-logical

Postby pathy-logical » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:00 am

I'm new here and to Pathfinders in general but from what I've been able to learn here a late model 2011 or a 2012 should be free of the inherent problems the R51s had.

I recently bought a 2012 "S", 2wd in Naples, Florida. I live in the Northeast and wanted a vehicle that hadn't been through 4 years worth of sand and salt in the winter months. The two combined literally destroy any vehicle. I didn't care about the model or whether it had 4wd or not.

I was buying sight unseen so I wanted to do business with a reputable dealer not a private party or brokerage/auction. So much for that theory. Do not do business with Airport Kia of Naples, FL unless you can be there personally to inspect the car. They just flat out lie about everything. I'm saying this because your username seems to indicate you're from FL.

After buying the vehicle for a decent price, a few hundred in parts and labor and hours and hours of cleaning the (like new they said) interior, I'm very pleased with it. One owner, below average mileage, bought and sold in Naples, FL.

Here are my thoughts after this:

CarFax and other such programs only have information if it was reported. Accidents, service etc. so it may not be totally accurate. A very important part though is the sales history. So many of the Pathfinders I saw for sale in the South had originally come from snow country. Some were only owned for a year or less and had several owners. Makes you wonder.

True Car is another I've seen touting their assurance that you're getting the best deal on a great car. They even show you your savings based on this vehicles, mileage, options, etc. compared to all other similar vehicles. According to the salesman at AP Kia they are charged (in my case $400) for listing with True Car so there's $$$$ added to the price. That's real dollars you can't negotiate for.

Know the vehicle you're looking for. AP Kia advertised it as an "SV" this affected the vehicle value in every appraisal program including True Car. They weren't the only ones doing this, I saw several with elevated trim levels, only dealers though. The VIN can help you with this.

Take your time, do not let anyone rush you in looking the vehicle over. Don't be distracted by their stupid banter, that's all it is. Check every nook and cranny, test every feature and option, test them again. If it breaks there they have to fix it. Have someone knowledgeable or at least pushy and obnoxious go with you. Remember the car salesman is not your friend.

I think having a used car checked by a mechanic you have faith in is a great idea. Mechanics get $90-$100/hour though and are not clairvoyant. Try to get a 30-90 warranty from whomever you buy it from.

Enough from me. I'm sure others will have more for you.

SteveFinn

Postby SteveFinn » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:00 am

I think everyone will agree that the 2011/2012 model years are pretty solid.

I bought a 2012 CPO 2 years ago. I have not had to use the CPO warranty, but I'm not impressed with the 100 or whatever checks it went thru to become a CPO.

The tires were 5/32" tread, the battery was on it's last leg, the tailgate struts were shot. It's not like getting a new car...but I was able to use those items to get a better price and I knew what I was getting into having put 100k miles on my 2008. Maybe 'CPO' is up to dealer interpretations....

I would say a well maintained, clean carfax is as good as a CPO, especially if it can be had for less money. But if you can get a good CPO deal that's even better.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:06 pm

I bought mine from Carmax and wouldn't ever buy a car anywhere else. You'll pay top market value (and they don't negotiate) but the truck will be as perfect as possible. When I bought mine, they gave me 90 days to make a list of everything that needed fixing. On day 89, I gave them a list of 25 things (hatch struts, rear AC issue, alignment, missing DVD player remote, a scratch, etc.) and they fixed every single one of them. On top of that, they included new Pathfinder floor mats and an owner's manual.

Return to “R51 General Chat”