HELP!!! Alternator? ECM?

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Mikeyjohn13

HELP!!! Alternator? ECM?

Postby Mikeyjohn13 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:27 pm

I have been having a lot of trouble with my 05 pathfinder. Most recent is some kind of electrical problem. One day a few months I decided to power wash the outside of the pathfinder, I washed in the wheel wells but not the engine or anything like that. When I started the car 5 minutes after I finished it started up fine. As soon as I hit the accelerator the colt meter spiked all the way to the top. The battery light came on and so did the brake light. After continuing to accelerate, the entire dash shut down and all gauges went flat and accelerator stoped working. But the engine was still idling!! I'd shut it off and turn it on over and over again, each time doing the same thing. Finally after about a half hour I could drive the thing but the dash was still completely blank. Drove it that way for about a half hour and all of a sudden it started running like normal, everything was working like it should. Every stayed good for the next month or so. Then one day it wouldn't even start up. Mechanic said starter was bad so I had it replaced. As soon as he put the starter in and started her up all the same symptoms from before returned. Now I have been driving it this way for a while because now the eccelerator always works. The voltmeter still shoots up and everything goes blank but the vehicle still runs. Only difference now is that every morning the battery is dead and needs to be jumped. Once it's jumped it won't die till I turn it off. I got the battery tested, they said it was good but there is a 5-6 amp draw when the vehicle is off. I got the alt tested, they said it is good. It was at 13.9. I have no idea what it could be. Does anyone have any ideas? And sry for the extremely long post but I feel the more I tell the better.

Mikeyjohn13

Postby Mikeyjohn13 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:33 pm

I forgot to say that when its at idle the voltmeter reads normal and the brake light and battery light goes off, most of the time anyway. And when the machanic had it he tested the alt and it was putting out around 18 volts. But then when I got it tested today it was at 13.9

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:35 am

how old is the battery?

Mikeyjohn13

Postby Mikeyjohn13 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:21 pm

It's a year old this month

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:05 pm

18 volts is way to high; charging system voltage should run in the 13.2-15.0 range. In the old days, it would be the sign of a faulty regulator, which, depending on the make and year, could either be external of the alternator or internal. The ECM does control the operation of the alternator on many makes/models these days, including our Pathfinders. You would be best to follow the diagnostic procedure for overcharging listed in the factory service manual before you plunk down a bunch of cash for a new alternator, even though that's likely what it is.

Mikeyjohn13

Postby Mikeyjohn13 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:26 am

Thank you for your help. Do you know where I can download a factory service manual?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Try NicoClub. They usually have free service manuals available.

http://www.nicoclub.com/

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:36 pm

Mikeyjohn13 wrote:Thank you for your help. Do you know where I can download a factory service manual?
we have our own service manual here at The Nissan Path
http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R5 ... ce/fwd.pdf

Return to “R51 Electrical”