The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
87 Pathfinder Coupe 3.0 Auto 4x4 Transmission question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
87PathyCoupe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: 87 Pathfinder Coupe 3.0 Auto 4x4 Transmission question Reply with quote

Hello! I just bought my first ever Nissan Pathfinder. I don't know much about these SUV,s but the guy I got it from says that it's a 3 speed trans. When I'm going 60 it sure seems like it should be dropping into a final drive gear. How many drive gears are there in these transmissions? And if there is 4 gears, at what speed should that 4 gear drop in at?

Unfortunately, my tach is not working so I am not sure where my RPM's are at when the tranny shift, any help with that would be appreciated, not sure where to start with that.

Please help!!

Thanks!![/img]
smj999smj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a 3-speed, then it will have 3 forward drive gears; a 4-speed will have 4 forward drive gears, the last being an overdrive gear. The 3-speed used in these early Pathfinders was a weak unit and not a desirably one, either. It will rev the engine high at the higher vehicle speeds and will not provide very good gas mileage at those speeds, as well...not that any WD21 offered particularly good gas mileage.
1987PathyCoupe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much SMJ!

Do you know if a newer transmission 1990+ will bolt up and work fine? Or do you know of a better year transmission that might work?

Thanks!
smj999smj

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The later, 4-spd. transmissions were electronically controlled by a TCM whereas the 3-spd. was not, so there's that big obstacle to overcome.
stangkilla1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok first of all my pathy 89 se v6 4x4 has the 3speed with power button and with lucas trans fluid ive got 280,000km and its one of the strongest trannys ive ever had the pleasure of using.second the only way to improve your trans is to get a manual valve body and some good trans fluid and change the filter and your trans will work pass the motor. 3rdly no you cant use a newer trans to older wd21 truck it wont mate unless you go to advance adapters they make a conversion plate. rugged rocks offroad is only pathy aftermarket company i know thats really good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: