Coolant leaking

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

Coolant leaking

Postby jetstream87 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:24 am

As winter got hear I came to notice that my car was throwing White smoke this weekend as I was going to go to work. I was panicking that it was due to lack of oil or something in which I was lucky that I was able to pull into a gas station and check out the problem. I came to notice that it was throwing coolant from a hose that is located from the fuel injection system. I came to notice this morning that I threw in some water into the reservoir and the radiator and the leak is no longer there but was wondering what how is needed to replace and if possible get the OEM part number. According to my friend he says that it is normal to happen since it is winter and the hose contracts and expands. I know that I will have to remove the top of the fuel injection system. This is kinda a AOG (Aircraft On Ground) situation for me. 1997 Pathfinder SE

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:04 pm

Found the leak and able to get a clearer photo, please let me know where this hose does and what OEM part number is it. Also how to remover the top section of the engine.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:19 pm

"If" it's the part I think it is, it would be discontinued Nissan part 14056-0W005. You can click on the part diagram link below and look at that part. If you notice, it shows it going to Section 163, which I believe is the throttle body.

http://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts/ni ... 01,14056NA

If that's it, then you just use heater hose from the local auto parts store and cut to size. You'll also need to clean the "crud" off of the pipe end, of course. You'll also need the upper plenum gasket and I would soak the EGR passage pipe fittings down with a lot of rust penetrant! I have had a couple of EGR valves break off inside the end of the passage pipe and those pipes are getting pretty hard to find, if even still available. Carb cleaner will soften up some of those hardened air hoses when you try to remove them. A lot of these hose are now discontinued, so be careful with them. There are a lot of YouTube vids showing how to remove the upper plenum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjL24ojaYtM

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:44 pm

It does seem like it, I went to the auto part yesterday and bought a 1/2" tube about 3' of it in order to keep some around for the just in case. It kinda ticked me off that I just had fixed the heating core leak hose and now this one decides to go off. I am already determined to switch out the radiator, radiator hose, water pump, timing belt, and thermostat in order to keep the water cooling system clean and maximize it. I still have other task to do to it such as axels (thank you for the recommendation), brakes, rotors, shocks, and cosmetic repairs. It is funny because when I drive it to work (12 mile drive) it doesn't leak as much but when I drive it from work to the gas station (1/2 mile) it tends to leak and I can smell it). As for the gasket installment what is the torq specification?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:32 pm

13-15 ft/lbs, starting in the center and working outwards.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:06 pm

Will do! no patter right, may surgery go well

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”