Suspension Suggestion

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

MarkSheriff

Suspension Suggestion

Postby MarkSheriff » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:42 pm

So i bought the falken wildpeak at3w 275/70/18 tires and plan to order my 18x9 wheels soon

I do not plan to do any off-roading at all
It's probably time to change all the Struts since I'm still running stock suspension on my 2006 SE
So I'm asking what's the best route to go, I want a 2" lift all around so i was going for the prg mini lift kit.
I see a lot of you recommend the Monroe quick Strut for the front and the bilstein hd for the back.
But I do see bilstein has shocks that say "for suspension with 2" lift"
do I need to get this kind?
What suspension setup do you guys recommend, use the spacers from the prg kit in the front(on top the coilover) and I won't need any special strut other than the monroe quick strut, and a new 2" lift spring in the rear or use the prg spacer that goes with the stock spring and use a bilstein shock that says it's for 2" lift?

Don't plan on adding any weight to the front or rear end such as winch or aftermarket bumper

Also let me know if I would still benefit from the airlift in the rear with the suspension you guys recommend for me(or if it is not needed)

after some time of no one responding and plenty of patience and research, i went with this setup:
Bilstein 5100 adjustable front 2" lift shocks
Bilstein 4600 Heavy Duty 2" lift 2WD Rear Shocks
Rancho rear spring spacers

Last edited by MarkSheriff on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:20 pm

I started out with spacers before I started making off-road mods and they were fine. It will stiffen up the ride a little, but if you ask me, it needs it!

And yes get the Airlift airbags for the rear. You can run them on 5lbs (have to have some air in them) and when you take the truck on vacation with the family and it's all loaded up, just inflate to 30lbs and it won't sag or mess up your camber!

(Tip - connect the 2 bags together and only use 1 point to inflate/deflate. That way the bags are always at the same pressure)

MarkSheriff

Postby MarkSheriff » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:25 pm

thanks for the reply and the tip on the airbags, that will def come in handy when i get the bags and set them up.

i also went for the spring spacers for the rear, updating my original post to show what parts i got. plan to install the lift this Friday 1/13/17

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:31 pm

Good deal!
It'll look like it should have from the factory.

MarkSheriff

Postby MarkSheriff » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:33 am

@Touchdown
do you know anything about the bump stops? do they need to be changed when i do my 2" lift because i cant find any info on it or if it needs to be removed? have you left the stock bump stops on or changed it? if so can you link me to the ones you have

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:35 pm

Yes I've changed my bump stops...sorta!

The Radflo shocks that I have in the rear have a bump stop built in so I removed the stock ones.
And the adjustable front shocks I got from 4x4parts came with smaller ones so I replaced the stock ones there as well.
I haven't seen just the smaller ones sold anywhere separately, but you could always cut yours down.

BUT...my advice, for what's its worth...I'd leave the stock ones on there otherwise the ride could get a little bouncy. (Unless you're looking for maximum articulation and you don't care like me)

Although, my ride IS a little bouncy now and I'm starting to look at the hydraulic ones...but there just so darn expensive!

Hope that helps! :)

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”