Suggest a replacement shock absorber.

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

car_bore

Suggest a replacement shock absorber.

Postby car_bore » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:09 pm

Hey everyone!

After 136,000 miles, I think it's just right to replace my shock absorbers now. I had a mechanic inspect my car and he showed my how shot they were on all four sides. I'm surprised they last this long! Now being a college student, I'm looking for the cheapest, yet best shock absorbers. Anyone can suggest a good one? I plan on replacing them all.

Hoping for your replies!

Thanks,
CB

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:29 pm

And can someone explain what quick struts are? I googled it and it seems they're shock absorbers with springs attached. What is the advantage of using that compared to the usual tube shock absorber. And I also did some back reading on Blistiens, and there are a lot of mixed reviews on it. Would you recommend this?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:36 am

I'm still running stock up front, Bilstein 4600s in the rear, with Airlift helpers.

I am happy with this setup, but will be due for change on all 4 corners by the end of summer or next year.

Quickstruts are very easy to install. You don't have to transfer your old springs onto the new strut, hence the quickness.

Like I said above, I am good with the Bilsteins, they have a good reputation and have performed well. I've had them installed since 2008.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:28 pm

I, too, have the Bilstein HD's (4600 series) on the rear with the Airlift 1000 air bags. It's a popular suspension choice if you are sticking with the stock ride height and the Bilstein monotube design is an improvement over the stock Nissan units. The factory rear suspension has a tendency to bottom-out over large bumps and sag when towing; this set-up is a good upgrade to fix those concerns and won't cost you an arm and a leg.
As far as the front, the stock suspension actually rides pretty good. The stock shocks are made by KYB and, on the aftermarket, KYB G2/Excels are the same as the factory shocks without the dealer price.
Another advantage of a Quick-strut is you get a new mount and the springs have been tested or replaced, as needed. If you don't have a strut spring compressor and plan to do the job yourself, it might be the best way to go.

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Hi everyone,

What do you think of this complete shock replacement for the Pathy?

http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18915784-delu ... ckage.html

Is the price alright? And are those good shock absorbers? I'm looking at no lift at all, and I think this offers a 2" lift. Can you guys confirm this for me as their tech support doesn't help at all.

And also, aside from this, can anyone recommend a front and back replacement? I was originally thinking of rancho quick struts on the front and bilstiens 4600 at the back but I really don't like rancho's 9 level adjustability. And since I'm changing all the shocks, do you guys think I should change the springs also?

Thanks guys,
CB

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:42 pm

If you are keeping the ride height stock, then the original front struts really weren't bad at all. A direct replacement would be KYB GR-2/Excel-G; KYB is the OE supplier to Nissan. You can get these at Rockauto.com for $50 each. Another option for the front is a Quick-strut, which comes assembled with the coil spring for easier installation. KYB just came out with theirs for non-Off Road models; it's available at Rockauto for $119, or you can get Moog or Monroe Quick-struts for a few dollars less.
For the rear, it's best to go with a monotube design. Bilstein HD's (4600 series) are tried and true. Other options would be the Monroe Reflex or KYB Gas-a-just shocks.
If you haven't installed them already, Airlift 1000 air bags in the rear is an easy, inexpensive install that really improved the ride...or, simply replacing the factory, rear coil springs with Moog replacements. They'll help prevent the famous rear-end sag and bottoming out issues.

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:55 am

Thanks for the reply SMJ!

Yep, I already have installed airlifts. Regarding the shocks, I plan to stick with the same brand on all sides. I did some searching on rockauto and found this:

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... cc=1431465

What do you think about this? It's a monroe Quick-Struts W/ OE Spectrum Shocks, which I assume that the quick struts are for the front wheels and the shocks are for the rear. I'm leaning more on this one than the bilstiens.

Appreciate your feedback!

car_bore

Postby car_bore » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:06 am

Follow up.

Are you referring to this KYB?

Front:
KYB SR4203 Strut-Plus
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... cc=1431465

Rear:
KYB 345056 GR-2 / Excel-G

or for $5 more (which looks like a good deal):
KYB 555057 Gas-A-Just
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 65&jsn=384

Doing some research now and it seems that there are some bad reviews for monroe shocks. Haven't found any on the KYB. And Ranchos as well as bilstiens are out on my options.

Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:25 am

Those were the ones. KYB and Tokico have been the two suppliers of struts and shocks for Nissan for decades.

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”