High idle after cleaning throttle body (one more time!)

**** PLEASE USE SUBTOPICS BELOW FOR NEW TOPICS ****

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:26 pm

That sucks. Sorry I'm not more help here... Is it causing performance problems otherwise?

My superchips has an option to reset the idle... Though I'm not sure I would try it in your situation... It sounds like something is just not working right.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:06 am

It's mostly just driving roughly. The high idle means I have to hold it back with the brakes more at stops or while coasting, and its not downshifting well at all.

After Googling around a lot this weekend, I think there must be something I can't see without CONSULT II that's keeping it from learning idle. The truck passes all of the OBD II tests and doesn't show any other codes, and everything appears right through the idle air learning sequence except, you know, the whole part about relearning idle. I found several Nissan technicians out there that now avoid cleaning the throttle body because they think it wastes the throttle position sensor and drives them to replace the entire thing.

I don't think my sensor or the motor is bad after playing with it and watching the data though. I think the truck just isn't dialing it back below ~5 degrees/3% throttle at all.

There is one other possibility, which is that it's not doing the throttle closed position learning. The manual says listen for it, but I'm not sure I've heard it move. Tried switching the truck off and running around to the front to watch too. Wish it called for more than just turning the truck on and off quickly :-/

Still, pushing on the plate puts zero in the right place...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:50 am

I would honestly think there has got to be something wrong with the TPS.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:15 am

ShipFixer wrote:Well, nothing works. Once or twice the throttle started to go down during idle learning but only for a couple seconds. Refused to go below 3.1% or 850 rpm. Sensor appears to be fine since pushing it past the return spring to fully closed sends it to zero correctly. Looks like I'll be trying to catch a local Nissan dealership late tomorrow or Tuesday...

Sorry to read that you're experiencing this. I know what you're going through... happened to me as well. I ended up buying a new throttle body and installing it myself. I then performed the following successfully on my first try whereas I could only reset the ECU with my old throttle body.

1. Reset ECU
2. Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
3. Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
4. Idle Air Volume Learning

I never brought mine to the dealership, but hopefully they can help you out? Good luck!

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:36 am

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. What a stupid design where you have to replace the whole thing...

My main issue with this aside from spending $500 on a new throttle is that I'm on temporary duty in Dayton and need to get on the road for DC eventually. This may upset my plans to spend a few days in WV mountain biking, among other things. I bought the Pathfinder to make trail riding more convenient, not less!

Anyway, now I have an appointment scheduled with Nissan tomorrow afternoon. Hoping this is just some kind of electronic issue that can be easily resolved.

goblue90

Postby goblue90 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:19 pm

ShipFixer wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. What a stupid design where you have to replace the whole thing...

My main issue with this aside from spending $500 on a new throttle is that I'm on temporary duty in Dayton and need to get on the road for DC eventually. This may upset my plans to spend a few days in WV mountain biking, among other things. I bought the Pathfinder to make trail riding more convenient, not less!

Anyway, now I have an appointment scheduled with Nissan tomorrow afternoon. Hoping this is just some kind of electronic issue that can be easily resolved.
Keep us posted. On a side note, just saw that you're in Arlington, VA. I'm in Springfield, VA. Let me know if you ever need help modding/working on your Pathfinder.

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:35 pm

goblue90 wrote:
Keep us posted. On a side note, just saw that you're in Arlington, VA. I'm in Springfield, VA. Let me know if you ever need help modding/working on your Pathfinder.
Thanks! I'm garage-less for a few months before transferring to Saudi Arabia, so I may need help. I will pay in beer or other acceptable currency formats :-)

Nissan fixed this for me today with CONSULT. The first thing they asked me was "what did you clean it with" followed by a warning that this may result in a new throttle body. Didn't need a new part after all...my scanner says it's idling normally now at 625 +/- 50 rpm and ~1.6% throttle. I figured I was okay since the TPS was reading correctly before, but you never know!

I've taken apart diesels as big as a car but I'll never touch this one stupid butterfly valve again no matter how dirty it gets. I don't understand why we have to get help on something as simple as setting idle. For that matter when they were determining the OBD II standards, why didnt some fifty pound brain in the room come up with standard commands like, oh, I don't know, "idle air learn?"

Of course, I also don't understand from a controls perspective why the ECU can't dial the engine back down for idle as well as up. The simplest linear controller algorithms would do that, so for some reason they've prevented it from doing so. Sigh...

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:56 pm

Glad you got it fixed. What all did they have to do?
You deploying to Saudi? How long?

ShipFixer

Postby ShipFixer » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:47 pm

They just did idle air learning, but with CONSULT instead of the pedal-dance procedure in the manual.

Not really a deployment, it's a one year PCS and involves a three bedroom villa with air conditioning 8) My dad also lives nearby so it's kind of a deal or me. If it were possible to take the Pathfinder I would, I've never been into four wheeling but I've seen some pretty awesome pictures of other people's trucks out in the desert.

volvite
Sponsored Member

Postby volvite » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:04 am

You could always look to buy a 4x4 when you get over here. There is a guy on the club from Dubi so I think you could find one.

Addies21

Postby Addies21 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks for taking time to help here!!

jking63

yeah!

Postby jking63 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks so much for this thread. I cleaned mine and was having the high idle issue too. Went through the re-learn process and now all is well!!!

I did have to go through it a couple of times to get it to work.

Thanks again!!!

05NissPathy

Thanks

Postby 05NissPathy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:04 am

I looked at these steps for about 2 months, thinking I couldn't do it. Today I was bored at work went outside and went through steps and thank you Jesus idle dropped and CEL went off and it seems that all is well. I was on my way to the dealer friday and have them do it. This thread saved me $120.00. I did buy a throttle body from an 08 Xterra so if anyone needs one hmu I have 1 for $100.00.

virtualjim

Postby virtualjim » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Quick shout out of thanks for this old thread. Just saved me a bunch of head scratching. Reset procedures worked like a charm and kept me from throwing parts at the wrong problem.

housekyl

High Idle after touching/cleaning throttle body

Postby housekyl » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:47 am

Thank you for this thread, took a few tries but eventually worked!

I had pulled off the VIAS flap thing to clean it chasing down an idle problem and decided to wipe out throttle body. I have learned from this it is sometimes better not to touch things.

I did not remove or replace throttle body. But was idling around 1250 after I messed with it.

Notes for others: On last step of procedure it says:
*7. Fully release accel pedal after 3 seconds
*8. Start engine.

**I believe where I had trouble is you need to actually start the car before that 3 seconds is up**
Also, use a stopwatch!

Return to “2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)”