How to drive 4x4?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

jetstream87

How to drive 4x4?

Postby jetstream87 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:37 am

I never owned a car with 4x4 feature ever or neither driver one. My past car was 94 GMC Safari (aka Air Force 1 retired) and since gas prices in California is pretty crazy I really do not drive my 2006 Mustang GT. I currently drive my 1997 Nissan Pathfinder SE ro work, I been researching how to use the 4x4 feature in which some owners say that they hear grinding sounds some do not when shifting 4L to 4H. I once activated the 4x4 feature to test it out in which when I put it in 4L no problem, then switch it to 4H and heard a grinding sound. The grinding sound was like if you put the vegetable in a juice maker but the red ATP light was on, the grinding noise did went on for say 5 seconds. Then shifted from 4H to 2H and the grinding noise happened again and was able to get out the 4x4 mode. My concern is if I have a problem with my transfer case? Is it normal? How can I shift from 4L to 4H without damaging my transfercase / tranny.....please explain me in detail since this is new to me. Also how to check the fluid level on the transfer case

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:23 am

You check the transfer case oil level like you would a differential: remove the fill plug and insert your finger. The oil should come up to the bottom of the fill hole. Some use gear oil and some use automatic transmission fluid (NissanMatic Type "D" ATF or Dexron III is fine).

There should be instructions on using the transfer case on the back of the sun visor. Unless you go serious off-roading, 4-LOW is usually not used very often. That said, I prefer to shift the transfer case while idling with the transmission in neutral and on level ground if possible. It seems to engage easier and with less grinding that way.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:18 am

smj999smj wrote:You check the transfer case oil level like you would a differential: remove the fill plug and insert your finger. The oil should come up to the bottom of the fill hole. Some use gear oil and some use automatic transmission fluid (NissanMatic Type "D" ATF or Dexron III is fine).

There should be instructions on using the transfer case on the back of the sun visor. Unless you go serious off-roading, 4-LOW is usually not used very often. That said, I prefer to shift the transfer case while idling with the transmission in neutral and on level ground if possible. It seems to engage easier and with less grinding that way.
The only thing I got on my sun visor if the warning flip tag, I guess the prior owner modified the visor. I did put the car on Neutral, pushed the lever down, shift to 4L and no problem.......went from 4L to N to 4H and grinding sound, the ATP light came on (what is this for anyways?) my level shaked for a bit. The grinding sound was for a couple of seconds (like 5 or 6). I was planning to check the fluids or get the transfer case service. I was planing to use Royal Purple oil since thats what I use for my engine and pretty pleased with the results.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:36 pm

I found this regarding the ATP light. Essentially, it's just a reminder that the transfer case is in neutral, so even if your transmission is in PARK, the vehicle can still roll if you take your foot off of the brakes since it is disconnected from the rest of the drivetrain:

From the manual:

Automatic transmission park
warning light ( model)

This light indicates that the automatic transmission
parking function is not engaged. If
the transfer control shift lever is not secured
in any drive position while the automatic
transmission selector lever is in the P (Park)
position, the vehicle may move unexpectedly.
Shift the transfer control shift lever into the
2H, 4H, or 4L position when the warning
light comes on.
c
When parking, always make sure that the
transfer control shift lever is in 2H, 4H, or
4L and the parking brake is set.

c
If the ATP light is ON, this indicates that
the automatic transmission P (Park) position
will not function and the transfer
control shift lever is in the N (Neutral)
position.

c
Failure to engage the transfer control shift
lever in 2H, 4H, or 4L could result in the
vehicle moving unexpectedly, resulting in

serious personal injury or property damage.

jetstream87

Postby jetstream87 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:01 pm

smj999smj wrote:I found this regarding the ATP light. Essentially, it's just a reminder that the transfer case is in neutral, so even if your transmission is in PARK, the vehicle can still roll if you take your foot off of the brakes since it is disconnected from the rest of the drivetrain:

From the manual:

Automatic transmission park
warning light ( model)

This light indicates that the automatic transmission
parking function is not engaged. If
the transfer control shift lever is not secured
in any drive position while the automatic
transmission selector lever is in the P (Park)
position, the vehicle may move unexpectedly.
Shift the transfer control shift lever into the
2H, 4H, or 4L position when the warning
light comes on.
c
When parking, always make sure that the
transfer control shift lever is in 2H, 4H, or
4L and the parking brake is set.

c
If the ATP light is ON, this indicates that
the automatic transmission P (Park) position
will not function and the transfer
control shift lever is in the N (Neutral)
position.

c
Failure to engage the transfer control shift
lever in 2H, 4H, or 4L could result in the
vehicle moving unexpectedly, resulting in

serious personal injury or property damage.
Thats something new, I always had my foot on the brake and changed the gears. I might be thinking of getting the case service too since I am unsure if the prior owner messed it up or needs some repair. Hopefully it in not costly.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”