Want to upgrade exhaust, need suggestions.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Islander82

Want to upgrade exhaust, need suggestions.

Postby Islander82 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:17 am

Hey everyone!

I am planning to upgrade the exhaust on my '08 to a more high performance system. I'm looking for any suggestions of what brands to look at. I've already looked at Magnaflow and Flowmaster and neither make exhausts for my Pathfinder. I looked at some other brands but I've never heard of them so I'm not sure about them. Any suggestions from this community will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:40 am

I have heard better reviews on the magnaflow.
As for the setup its removing the y pipe and doing a dual in muffler 1 out.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:59 am

You failed to mention whether you have the V6 or V8. I have an '06 LE (V6/AWD) and covered what I did to my exhaust in this thread, which I really need to go back and update, but the exhaust is fully covered:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

I went with Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, keeping the stock upstream converters. I cut out the main muffler and installed a Magnaflow #12580 (two inlet/one outlet) and had my friend fab the pipes going into it. I kept the factory post muffler. At first it doesn't sound the best, but at around 1000 miles, the muffler "breaks in" and sounds much better. At idle, it has a subtle rumble. At WOT, she sounds great! But, keep in mind, no matter what path you choose to free up the exhaust, exhaust "drone" is almost inevitable. For a while, you get used to it, but, it can get a little annoying afterwards, at least so, in my case.
Gibson makes a cat-back exhaust system, but it's a little more money.
One thing I've been looking at is the possibility of the V8 cat-back factory exhaust working on the V6. It's a shame I don't have a V8 Pathy to which I can compare. I know the mid-pipes (or, rear converters) are shorter on the V8, but that may not be an issue as the exhaust on the engine is different as well. The muffler should be in the same place, which is a 2-inlet/1-outlet design and the rear pipes should be the same, as the body is the same. They both use the same style, flange connections at the front and it looks like they "may" be in the same location, based on diagrams I've looked at. The mounts also appear to be in the same locations. If it would work, this would provide the elimination of the "restrictive Y" we all want to eliminate but still keep the sound level more moderate. Of course, the factory V8 muffler and pipes is not cheap; I priced them online at around $875 without shipping and not including gaskets. If somebody replaced their V8 system with an aftermarket and was selling a good used system, it might make it more feesable.

Islander82

Postby Islander82 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:06 am

My apologies, mine is a V6 SE.

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:31 am

I just had a Magnaflow 12251 installed for about 200 (parts and labor). I left the stock tailpipe and resonator. It has a slightly annoying drone around 2k that makes me wish I had gone with 5x11 magnaflow (12580 I think). I might try a resonated tip or similar to help with that. I am pretty happy overall though. Remember that most magnaflows and flowmasters can be reversed for install.

Depending on what you are going for it can be as simple as installing any dual inlet/ single outlet muffler.

MarkSheriff

Postby MarkSheriff » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:03 am

here's what my flowmaster super 44 sounds like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-CYzV8XUfk

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:54 am

does replacing the y pipe actually get you better mpg? is there anyone who has done this and seen a difference or are you seeing better mpg because you also upgraded the muffler? My shop will charge me more to take out the y pipe when installing the new muffler so I want to know is it worth paying extra to take that out or just replace the muffler and be done ?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Some feel the stock "Y" is restrictive and removing it will either add power or increase gas mileage, or both. When it came to performance mods, the exhaust was the first place I tackled. After installing headers, deleting the rear cats and replacing the stock muffler with a 2-in/1-out designed Magnaflow, I didn't notice any change in gas mileage and "maybe" a bit of an increase in power in the mid-range. The biggest difference was the increased noise of the exhaust. If you are upgrading the exhaust simply to increase gas mileage, my advice is to not waste your time nor money. IF your goal is more power, then you'll need to do more than just exhaust mods.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:17 pm

good answer, that's what I needed to hear.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”