Wheel sensor Reset

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Aaron_kyboy

Wheel sensor Reset

Postby Aaron_kyboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:37 pm

To quickly bring everyone up to speed. I have a 2007 2wd Pathfinder and I recently replace upper and lower ball joints. Unfortunately I dropped the driver side hub and steering knuckle. About 60lbs of force and after an Ohm check of the sensor showed open I bought an Autex ABS sensor off of Amazon. The Amazon filter said it was a good fit but I noticed the ohm for this sensor was different than the existing but since it wasn't open I installed it. I started the car after disconnecting the power on the battery and the ABS light was still on.

Does anyone have specs on the Ohms reading that should be seen? Also how many cycles miles should the system take to reset or am I most likely sitting on a bad new part?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Not sure on the ohms, but my vdc lights usually turn off after a few miles, or the next engine shutdown/restart.

Aaron_kyboy

Postby Aaron_kyboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:44 am

So more than likely my ABS system still sees a malfunction it won't clear at this point? I did have a heck of a time getting the quick disconnect off and the plastic connected goes together but doesn't really lock anymore due to the force I used to get it out. Is this a possible issue as well?

Aaron_kyboy

Postby Aaron_kyboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:53 am

After reading my first post. I wasn't very clear. I dropped the hub with wheelsensor connected, wire broke and new sensor ohm 550 Kohms which was different than the original of 115kohm reading. I still installed anyway hoping it would be fine because it's better than open reading. This is what originally leads me to believe this part may be sketchy. I had Advanced check the ABS code but he couldn't read or clear the code. I think from not knowing the tool he was using. Anyway I am giving this light till the end of the week and ordering a new sensor. I may go with a better brand quality this go around. Any good suggestions on wheel sensor brands that work on a budget?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:37 am

You can't check these wheel sensors by checking the resistance with a wheel sensor. The way they work is that they are fed 8 volts and they create a square wave (I believe 0-1.5 volts, if not mistaken) which is sent back to the control unit. It's not an inductance sensor, like older models. To check them, you need to plug them into a Kent-Moore ABS check tool # J-45741. As you spin the wheel, the light on the tool flashes to indicate it's working. Last time I looked into one, the tool was over $500.

As far as what brand to go with, you never go wrong with genuine Nissan. If I had to pick aftermarket, I'd probably go with Beck-Arnley or Dorman. Beck-Arnley usually sells parts by OE manufacturers; Dorman is usually good quality and provides a lifetime warranty.

Aaron_kyboy

Postby Aaron_kyboy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:12 pm

I checked voltage at the connectors and was seeing 12volts to the sensor. Going to get a better part. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”