New Guy Here! Looking to Buy First Car

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Stutz1214

New Guy Here! Looking to Buy First Car

Postby Stutz1214 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:52 pm

I'm looking into buying a '98 Pathfinder from Craigslist. It looks like its in really good shape, but I just don't know what to look out for with these cars. Anyone have any suggestions or see any potential issues? Heres the listing: http://bozeman.craigslist.org/cto/5963221372.html

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:19 pm

It does like pretty good from the pictures. It's about as base as you can get for a Pathfinder: a non-power window, manual trans XE trim. One thing I noticed is it says it hasn't had anything done to the engine mechanically. At 105,000 miles, it would have been due for a timing belt and spark plugs. The plugs are no big deal, but the timing belt could get expensive. At almost twenty years old, I would want to replace the water pump, thermostat, tensioner pulley, front cam and crank seals and drive belts while replacing the timing belt. If you can't do the work yourself, you could be looking at $650-$750 or a little more, depending on what labor costs are where you live and whether genuine Nissan or aftermarket parts are used. NGK laser platinum spark plugs with labor will tack on another $100-$130 at a shop.
The big concern with Pathfinders is rust. You want to make sure the body is solid. Pay special attention to the bottom of the strut towers; there is a recall for these by Nissan, so make sure it's done or have it done if you buy it.
As far as the price, it's a bit high, especially if he's firm on the price. According to N.A.D.A., this model with that mileage is valued at $3535 for clean retail. So, take that into consideration along with putting another $1000 into it if the timing belt and plugs need to be replaced; you could use that as a negotiation point on the price.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”