Recalibrate/reset needle in gauge cluster?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

mrobers

Recalibrate/reset needle in gauge cluster?

Postby mrobers » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:47 am

It looks like the needle of the coolant temperature of my recently bought '05 Pathfinder (EU spec) sits too low when the cluster is turned off. As a result; the temperature is never shown correctly; it shows around 1/8 inch above cool while the coolant temp is around 80 degrees Celcius (read through my OBD2).

I have already replaced the thermostat and coolant sensor but it stays the same. I did a needle swipe test (cluster test) and it doesn't reach the max high temp so I guess the needle has sagged a bit or something like that.

Is is possible to reset (or recalibrate) the needle?

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:54 pm

I would have to say that in order to reset the needle to 0, you would have to open the gauge cluster and remove the needle and replace it back in the right place. sounds like a physical thing to me.

Alternatively, the temp gauge may have come loose from the back of the gauge cluster and has turned slightly due to vibration while driving. May have to be just turned and tightened back into place.

mrobers

Postby mrobers » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:06 am

Thanks. I also think it might be the needle that needs to be repositioned.

I will go and look for instructions on how to remove the cluster.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Keep in mind the cluster is an integrated meter assembly and not designed to be taken apart. You might want to have a company that does instrument cluster repairs do it so you don't end up damaging it.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”