Advice needed on optional front-end bolts for alignment

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

McMac

Advice needed on optional front-end bolts for alignment

Postby McMac » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:58 am

I've never had an alignment on this vehicle, so I had my dealership check it on my 08 AWD (75,000 mi). Has a nice graphic print-out showing how the tires are wearing. Though it drives smooth as glass (no pulling or vibration at freeway speeds and no road noise), I've not been getting great life out of good Michelins (heading for 3rd set of 60-70,000 mi. tires) with just normal daily driving. Here's the question- the service advisor I've used for years (he was a wrencher for 15 years before moving out front), said that to really get the front correct, they could replace the bolts in the front end with ones which are adjustable. This allows them to tweak the alignment in a way not available on a stock vehicle. He showed me the ones which would be replaced- not being that much of a car guy, the location looked like they are what attached the control arms (?) to the vehicle. I visualized something like a bolt with a cam on it that can be rotated to do the adjustment. I don't remember if he said it was for the toe or the camber. He also said it wasn't essential, but that I'd get perfect alignment that way and it should improve my tire life. The fun part is it's in the $400+ range for everything and it does take most of a day. I didn't think to ask why, what seems like an important adjustment, isn't able to be done on a stock vehicle.

Anyone familiar with this mod, I'd certainly appreciate any thoughts from the many experts on this site.

Thanks!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:21 pm

The bolts you are referring to are called a "caster/camber kit." From the factory, the R51 does not come with adjustable bolts on the front suspension, although it does have them on the rear suspension. To ask why not, you'll have to ask Nissan, but it probably comes down to them saving a couple dollars.
Installing the caster/camber kit in the front, which replaces the "regular" bolts that attach the lower control arms to the frame, allows the caster and camber to be adjusted at the front wheels if they are not withing specs. You can get aftermarket kits and they are relatively inexpensive, but they are not nearly as good as the ones from Nissan. The Nissan "kit" is not sold under a single part number, rather each part is sold individually. For those part numbers, refer to this thread:

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic.php?t=11989

Hopefully, the bolts will come out easily, but, sometimes the bolts will seize to the steel sleeve of the control arm bushing. If this happens, the bolts will need to be cut out using a Sawzall and the control arms will likely need to be replaced, which adds additional cost and labor.

McMac

Postby McMac » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:24 pm

Very helpful!

The service advisor said the same as you about them sometimes being a bear to get out.

Thanks!

McMac

Postby McMac » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:51 am

I had this caster/camber kit installed since I just put on 4 new tires and had a 4-wheel alignment done for the first time on this vehicle (82,000 mi). As I mentioned before, though it drove very smoothly with no pulling or vibration, I was not getting great mileage out of my tires under normal driving conditions. And the dealership's graphic alignment printout did show the exact tire wear pattern I was getting, even with regular rotations. I'm hoping this will help.

Obviously, the new rubber is the biggest part, but it really is now a clean drive at freeway speeds plus.

Cost was $110 (included shipping) for the OEM parts from Courtesy Nissan, TX and $266 for the dealer install and 4-wheel alignment. Of the 3 places I called, all had these parts in stock, so I think that says something about how many of these they must be doing.

This must be a push now for Nissan as I hear them recommending this more when I'm in there. The service tech I use just did this to his new Xterra as well.

FYI- If anyone decides to do this mod, the part number for at least one of the 3 was a little different than what was posted. I confirmed this at both Courtesy and my dealership. Also, I learned from the other post that this mod is not necessary from before '05- it was part of the stock vehicle until then. The rear alignment adjustment bolts are there, just not the fronts after '05.

Also, from looking at the other post about the difference in aftermarket and OEM parts in these kits, looks like the OEM is way better and worth the extra few dollars.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:11 pm

What part # was different and what was the number you got? Those were the part numbers I used on my '06 and still show up as good in the part catalog. If a number has been superceded, I can update the post.

McMac

Postby McMac » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:34 pm

HERE ARE THE NUMBERS FROM THE POST:

Pin assy., Nissan P/N 54580-7S000, Quantity: 4
Disc eccentric, Nissan P/N 54559-1Z600, Quantity: 4
Nut, Nissan P/N 08918-6441A, Quantity: 4

HERE ARE THE NUMBERS I WAS GIVEN BY THE DEALERSHIP (which I had installed):

Pin assy., Nissan P/N 54580-7S005, Quantity: 4
Disc eccentric, Nissan P/N 54559-7S005, Quantity: 4
Nut, Nissan P/N 08918-6441A, Quantity: 4

Since mine is a V8, don't know if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help. It made getting this done much easier and cheaper!

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:31 pm

I know this post is a bit old, but I thought I'd add this anyway.

The parts that SMJ listed bring up compatibility with Frontier/Xterra which are both V6's.

The parts that MCMAC listed bring up compatibility with Armada/Titan which are both V8's.

With that said, all part numbers provided are correct, just depends on your engine.

These parts were confirmed from the parts catalog provided by Town North Nissan in Austin, TX. Not promoting them, just where I usually get my parts.

https://townnorthnissanparts.com

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks! I'll update my sticky on the part #'s!

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”