Value Advantage air filter

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

qqqq

Value Advantage air filter

Postby qqqq » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:36 am

Does anyone have any experience with Nissan Value Advantage line of replacement parts? I am specifically asking about air filter now – I got coupon in mail advertising value advantage filter for $10 at the local dealership.

I researched online but could not really find out anything specific. I sort of understand how Nissan can manufacture (or outsource) lower end brake pads and rotors and sell them at a discount – lower grade materials resulting in shorter life span, more dust, more noise, etc. But for the life of me I cannot figure out how they can sell OEM air filter at $25 and Value Advantage air filter at $10. Where do you cut corners on air filter? It either prevents dirt from entering engine, or it doesn’t. It serves similar function as oil filter, yet I don’t see any Value Advantage oil filter.

I would prefer to spend $10 vs $25 (OEM) or $18 (Wix) but fear this might be sub-par part. And yet, for liability reason alone, I cannot imagine Nissan manufacturing air filter causing engine damage.

What am I missing?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 am

The Nissan advantage air filter for the VQ40DEV6 is a quality unit I use them with confidence. For that matter I have had good luck with Fram, Wix as well.

qqqq

Postby qqqq » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Thank you for replying, Kestral. I may give it a try, though I am still wondering what the difference is between it and OEM.

BTW, the reason I don't use Fram is because I could not close the air box. The rubber gasket is thicker than OEM. I had the same experience with Denso and Purolator filters. The only ones that fit perfectly are Wix and OEM so I just stuck with those over the years.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:22 pm

"Outsource" is a better word because Nissan doesn't make it's filters, spark plugs and brake parts, among many other parts. The Value Advantage line is the latest of what Nissan originally released as the "Key Value" line back in the 90's. It was their way of offering parts made by OE part companies to Nissan specs that were competitively priced with aftermarket options. The "value line" parts cannot be used in Nissan warranty work and usually carry less of a warranty than the "regular" Nissan parts.

qqqq

Postby qqqq » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Thanks, smj. You are basically confirming what I am saying but not really providing an answer. Not that I blame you, you are not a spokesperson for Nissan anyway. I was kind of thinking the same thing - i.e. the shorter warranty period for brakes, for example.

But how do you translate that logic/process to an air filter? That's what puzzles my mind. It's main purpose is to stop the dirt from entering the engine, and it either does it, or it does not. And I cannot see it doing its job well, but just for shorter period of time vs. "regular" filter.

I am almost wondering if it's the same filter as OEM.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:09 pm

Well, I'm not sure if there's any automotive air filter that can filter out "all" dirt. Filters are all about compromise; obviously, we want to let as let dirt/dust through them as possible, but, we also don't want to restrict the air flow to the point where is affects the performance of the engine. Most paper filters due a great job of that on daily driver automobiles. On performance engines that will see a lot of high RPM operation, cloth-media filters like K&N make a better choice as it's easier for more air to pass through them, but they will also let a little more dirt/dust pass through them, as well.
I would think the "Value line" filters would do an acceptable job, as would most aftermarket, paper air filters. Many of the aftermarkets are made by Purolator, such as Pronto. If you drive mostly highway miles, air filters in the R51's don't really get that dirty by the time the air gets to the filter; I used to change my air filter at 45,000 miles "just because" even though they still didn't look too bad and they could still pass light through them. Now, it's not an issue because I went to an aFe CAI system with a dry-filter.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49 pm

I just today picked up an on sale STP air filter for my truck it looks well made and it was on sale so when I have a chance I will check the fit and report back.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:16 pm

Kestral wrote:I just today picked up an on sale STP air filter for my truck it looks well made and it was on sale so when I have a chance I will check the fit and report back.
STP gets their air filters from several sources. The majority of them are made by Champion Labs, but, they also have been known to sell re-boxed Purolators and Frams. I've never heard anything bad about them.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:23 am

smj999smj wrote:
Kestral wrote:I just today picked up an on sale STP air filter for my truck it looks well made and it was on sale so when I have a chance I will check the fit and report back.
STP gets their air filters from several sources. The majority of them are made by Champion Labs, but, they also have been known to sell re-boxed Purolators and Frams. I've never heard anything bad about them.
Just an update... Yes the STP fits great actually better then some others I have tried. I prob did not need to change it but I like to keep up with this truck it's much to important for work and play.

Return to “R51 General Chat”