2005 Pathfinder Roof Paint Peeling Already :( What to do?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

mrfatboy

2005 Pathfinder Roof Paint Peeling Already :( What to do?

Postby mrfatboy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:27 pm

I have a 2005 Pathfinder that has always been garaged and detailed. High quality wax and detailing done at least twice a year. It only has 69k miles on it. I'm the original owner.

I just notice that on the left rear roof just left of the roof rack that the paint is peeling off and exposing the primer. It's happening on the sheet metal crease that folds down. It's about 6 inches long.

I surprised that it's doing this after 7 years. What should I do about it? Is there any recourse with Nissan? Can I touch up myself? It just seems like it is failing way to early.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tzvier

Postby Tzvier » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:16 pm

I would honestly contact Nissan NA about. I have an 05 as well, 110k and been outside in the weather all it's life with very little in the detailing department. It has hailstorm damage, but not a single problem with the paint. It sounds like a flaw in yours.

JAHBLESSINGS
Sponsored Member

Postby JAHBLESSINGS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:20 pm

Nissan will do nothing. Just get it painted by a shop and save your time. I had the same problem. Nissan told me your on your own when my truck had about 40k or so miles. Anything over 3year 36k miles you have to pay for repaint.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:07 am

JAHBLESSINGS wrote:Nissan will do nothing. Just get it painted by a shop and save your time. I had the same problem. Nissan told me your on your own when my truck had about 40k or so miles. Anything over 3year 36k miles you have to pay for repaint.
I ended up bedlining my roof gutters because they were peeling like mad. Also, if you pop the hood (at least for me), you'll notice peeling paint all over the place if you look closely. If you remove any trim, panels, etc., you will also notice it fraying where they stopped painting.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Also, a cover might benefit if it's not a DD.

I got mine one, fairly cheap, about 220$ since it sits out in the New Mexico Sun all year.

SHAKEnBLAKE

Postby SHAKEnBLAKE » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am

2005 WHITE PF LE

Reviving this old thread. I don't care if my Pathfinder is a 2005, there is no reason my paint should just be chipping off; it's very well maintained and regularly washed and waxed. I had a body guy say that it is simply due to a poor prep job at the factory. I painted the roof gutters when I first got it in 2014 and thought I was done dealing with the issue, but now the paint is peeling off my front fenders and doors, and is nearly gone from the A-pillars.

Anyone talk with Nissan about this issue? Is it only the white ones, or is it all pathfinders? I'm trying to decide If I want to get the beast repainted, or if I should just pony up and buy a 4Runner like we all should have in the first place.

NVSteve
Sponsored Member

Postby NVSteve » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:34 pm

SHAKEnBLAKE wrote:2005 WHITE PF LE

Reviving this old thread. I don't care if my Pathfinder is a 2005, there is no reason my paint should just be chipping off; it's very well maintained and regularly washed and waxed. I had a body guy say that it is simply due to a poor prep job at the factory. I painted the roof gutters when I first got it in 2014 and thought I was done dealing with the issue, but now the paint is peeling off my front fenders and doors, and is nearly gone from the A-pillars.

Anyone talk with Nissan about this issue? Is it only the white ones, or is it all pathfinders? I'm trying to decide If I want to get the beast repainted, or if I should just pony up and buy a 4Runner like we all should have in the first place.
I noticed lots of cracking paint on the gutters of our Xterra 6 months after buying it (brand new). I haven't done the bedliner on it yet, but will. Aside from bedlining the roof gutters on my Pathfinder, I also had a problem with the front driver's side panel. The paint had bubbled up, popped and started peeling. I had a shop repaint that and my hood, since the hood was dinged up from rocks. Now, the rear driver's side door handle has a bunch of paint coming off of it. Looks like it is melting off.

And yes, I will be buying a 4Runner next. Just waiting to see what the updated redesign will bring to the table.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”