1999 PF: PO340 - Camshaft Position Sensor

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Outrail

1999 PF: PO340 - Camshaft Position Sensor

Postby Outrail » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:09 pm

Important points bolded for ease of reading:

About two months ago I had a hard start in the cold (-20C/-4F) and brought up a engine light, which gave two codes: PO340 (Camshaft Position Sensor) and PO325 (Knock Sensor).

I had a mechanic mate clear the code to see if it was just a glitch and about a month later it came on again, but only threw a PO340 code. After talking to the mechanic I'm hoping it was just the camshaft position sensor translating down to trigger the knock sensor.

It starts well when it's warm or the block heater is plugged in, and it made a ~600km round trip in January just fine, so the assumption is the issue hasn't gotten too bad yet. Idles fine (only stalled once in idle, but stalls easily when taking off, but that could just be 'user error').

After some research it looks like the 1999 model doesn't have a camshaft sensor, and is built into the distributor which is fairly easy to replace (and about $170). Should I simply replace the distributor, or is there likely to be another underlying issue?

If it's just a distributor replacement I'm way out in the boondocks and need to get parts delivered, is the POWER SELECT/WPS DST58600 generally considered decent?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:41 pm

for ignition parts the general consensus is to stick with OEM parts. At the very least, with the same brand name that OEM uses, though some will say thats not good enough.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:13 am

I only use genuine Nissan reman distributors. I've seen and heard about too many problems with aftermarkets. A lot of them don't last more than a year.

Outrail

Postby Outrail » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Duly noted, thanks. I'll keep away from the cheaper stuff then.

I haven't had a chance to start work on it, but I went over my notes to double check a few things and what has actually happened is it first showed 'PO340 (Camshaft Position Sensor) and PO325 (Knock Sensor)', and then later 'P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit).

I found a diagnostic manual (http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/1999_Pathfinder/) and the Engine Control section indicates that "This Sensor (crankshaft position sensor) is not used to control the engine system. It is used only for on board diagnosis." Based on that I'm going to replace the crank sensor anyway since I've got one handy, but I guess the distributor (and possibly the knock sensor) are the real potentially bad issues. Just gotta wait for the parts to come in.

Aside from the engine codes the symptoms are weak idle with an easy stall from zero and a hard (slightly 'gasping') start. The hard start seems more related to the cold weather though, and starts easier when it's warmer/engine is hotter.

Has anyone here had a similar issue or am I flying blind?

edit: Where do you get your OEM parts? Do you have to go dealer direct or is there another (online) site you can get them delivered?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:15 pm

CourtesyParts.com and NissanPartsDepot.com are both pretty good for Nissan parts sources.

If the engine is not running right, the knock sensor code is probably reactionary to the running issue. Fix the running issue and erase the codes to see if the knock sensor code comes back before replace or relocating it.

Hard starting when cold can be caused by a faulty or dirty IACV/AAC valve, improperly reading engine coolant temp sensor, intake air leaks, dirty injectors and/or worn ignition components. It is the IACV-AAC valve that is the component that is used to control cold start fast idle and to maintain idle under loads, which is operated by the ECM. Proper base idle setting is necessary in order for it to work properly.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”