Rear shock options

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

Kestral

Rear shock options

Postby Kestral » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:09 am

So at 54,000 my 2012 Pathy's rear shocks are getting tired although I must say the rear installed airbags have helped prolong the life of them. I have had Bilstine shocks in the past and they are great although I have found on some cars and trucks they are just to stiff. So people that run them do you find them to stiff for the R51?

Are the OEM shocks cheep from Nissan? Should I just go with another set of OEM's?

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Best ones i seen are the Biltstein HDs
My Pathy came stock with Ranchos and they were alright.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:55 am

Looked up the OEM rear shock = $97
https://hudsonnissanparts.com/nissanpar ... ode=56200K

Bilstein 24-197434 = $70
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009FU6AP0/re ... LLCDYP13RO

I prefer getting from RockAuto, but the Bilsteins are out of stock. See more options here: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/niss ... orber,7556

Praetorian

Postby Praetorian » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:42 pm

I feel the factory shocks are too short and don't provide enough travel or droop, even for stock ride height. When I installed my 1.5 inch spacer lift in the rear of my r51 I installed Armada rear shocks back there. Rockauto.com provides collapsed and extended length specifications for some of the shocks they sell. I ended up going with the cheapest Gabriel's. They actual ride pretty well and seem firmer, probably due to the heavier weight of the Armada.

If you are going with factory size shocks in the rear Billstein or even KYB's are pretty good.

I feel the rear rides too soft from that factory and that might be the case of
some of the handling quirks some r51's suffer from. Stiffer shocks might help with that.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:26 pm

KYB Excel/GR-2's are the same as the factory shocks (KYB is the OE supplier to Nissan). It is better to go with a monotube shock absorber on the rear of the Pathfinder, which would include the Bilstein HD's (4600), KYB Gas-a-just and Monroe Reflex. I have the Bilsteins and with the Airlift 1000's and it's a good combination for stock suspension.

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:01 am

I switched to Bilstein 4600s in the rear and think they are too soft. I hit the bump stops all the time. The 5100s in the front are great.
Praetorian wrote:I feel the factory shocks are too short and don't provide enough travel or droop, even for stock ride height. When I installed my 1.5 inch spacer lift in the rear of my r51 I installed Armada rear shocks back there. Rockauto.com provides collapsed and extended length specifications for some of the shocks they sell. I ended up going with the cheapest Gabriel's. They actual ride pretty well and seem firmer, probably due to the heavier weight of the Armada.

If you are going with factory size shocks in the rear Billstein or even KYB's are pretty good.

some of the handling quirks some r51's suffer from. Stiffer shocks might help with that.
Praetorian, I think you're right on all points. I looked at Armada shocks, but thought they would bottom out, due to their longer collapsed length. Do they not?

Thanks,
Kevin

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:37 pm

kevinthefro wrote:I switched to Bilstein 4600s in the rear and think they are too soft. I hit the bump stops all the time. The 5100s in the front are great.
Praetorian wrote:I feel the factory shocks are too short and don't provide enough travel or droop, even for stock ride height. When I installed my 1.5 inch spacer lift in the rear of my r51 I installed Armada rear shocks back there. Rockauto.com provides collapsed and extended length specifications for some of the shocks they sell. I ended up going with the cheapest Gabriel's. They actual ride pretty well and seem firmer, probably due to the heavier weight of the Armada.

Praetorian, I think you're right on all points. I looked at Armada shocks, but thought they would bottom out, due to their longer collapsed length. Do they not?

Thanks,
Kevin
Part of the problem is that the rear coil springs are too weak. In the past, most corrected this with Airlift 1000 air bags, but these days another options is Moog replacement rear springs.

Praetorian

Postby Praetorian » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:56 pm

I measured and it’s pretty close. They might bottom out a little but I don’t feel it and my shocks are still in good shape. I destroyed a front stock height Rancho Rancho RS9000 strut from not enough bump stoppage and my rear shocks are still doing fine.

When I upgrade to better shocks I’ll extend the rear bump stops. I’ll probably get KYB monotubes since Bilstein doesn’t offer rear shocks for the Armada. And this is for the first gen Armada.

kevinthefro wrote:I switched to Bilstein 4600s in the rear and think they are too soft. I hit the bump stops all the time. The 5100s in the front are great.

Thanks,
Kevin

kevinthefro

Postby kevinthefro » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:07 pm

Just to close the loop on this - I love the Armada (Gabriel) shocks . Rear travel has increased by over 2 inches to 10.5. I've got so much droop my floor jack won't go high enough to get the tire off the ground!
Ride quality seems about the same as with the Bilsteins.
I've had issues with the rear tires coming off the ground off-road so this should help significantly.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:57 am

For offroad shocks comparable to bilstien 5100s I would look at radflos.
Nisstec.com out in colorado can order them.
There is RuggedRocks.com out in cali also

Im running vw buggy rear bilstein 5100s

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”