Need help FAST!

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Physiks

Need help FAST!

Postby Physiks » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:22 pm

So I bought a pathfinder the other day after searching for 3 months.
Well when I started it the first time I used the key the guy handed me and everything worked fine.

Well when I got home I noticed that it had keyless entry. So after I rechecked everything and turned it off I locked it with the keyless.
I left it there for two days because Im getting it registered monday.
I went out about 30 minutes ago to start it and the key wont turn forward in the ignition. My security light IS flashing red. I read online that if you unlock the door wit the key it will disable. Trouble is the key I have to start it isnt the key that unlocks the doors.
Im wondering if iI should get new lock cylinders for it or if i should buy a new ignition. I boight this truck to drive back and forth to work and this is an unexpected issuem im supposed to register it monday before work and now I really dont know what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks !

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:47 pm

You only have the one key?

I'd make sure the steering isn't in locked. When you go to turn the key, try moving the steering wheel to get the ignition to unlock.

I got the following from a different website:

One evening, I parked pointing downhill and like the book says, I turned my wheels to the right before parking. But I turned it a bit too far, because when I returned to the car and inserted the key into the ignition, the key wouldn't turn.

The wrong thing to do is to force the key until it breaks.

Here's the right thing to do:

Take the steering wheel and turn it left and right. One direction will have a little more play than the other. Grab the wheel with your left hand and apply pressure turning it in the direction with more play while using your right hand to turn the key in the ignition. (Or, if you're like me and can't figure it out, just wobble the wheel back and forth until the key unsticks.)

Physiks

Postby Physiks » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:22 pm

disallow wrote:You only have the one key?

I'd make sure the steering isn't in locked. When you go to turn the key, try moving the steering wheel to get the ignition to unlock.

I got the following from a different website:

One evening, I parked pointing downhill and like the book says, I turned my wheels to the right before parking. But I turned it a bit too far, because when I returned to the car and inserted the key into the ignition, the key wouldn't turn.

The wrong thing to do is to force the key until it breaks.

Here's the right thing to do:

Take the steering wheel and turn it left and right. One direction will have a little more play than the other. Grab the wheel with your left hand and apply pressure turning it in the direction with more play while using your right hand to turn the key in the ignition. (Or, if you're like me and can't figure it out, just wobble the wheel back and forth until the key unsticks.)
I tried that as well initially. That happened to me in a tahoe I use to have. I was out in the 15 degree weather laying under the dash looking for anti theft modules and considering just pulling plugs one by one until something worked. 😂

I resorted to putting the key in the lock and jiggling it back and forth about a zillion times. Put the key in and it turned right over. The door cylinder is still locked so idk what the deal is. But for now its fixed temporarily and in the garage.

On a side note. Can you recommend a reputable retailer for the upper and lower rear control arms. I think Im well on my way to the "death wobble" that I see a bunch of posts about.
Is Dorman the only aftermarket manufacturer for the rears ?
1A auto has a full set but idk what brand or how reputable they are they are OEM and Dorman "replacements".

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:34 am

On a side note. Can you recommend a reputable retailer for the upper and lower rear control arms. I think Im well on my way to the "death wobble" that I see a bunch of posts about.
Is Dorman the only aftermarket manufacturer for the rears ?
1A auto has a full set but idk what brand or how reputable they are they are OEM and Dorman "replacements".

There are a number of manufacturers that offer the rear suspension links. Dorman was one of the first aftermarket companies to make them and had a limited lifetime warranty. I would say quality is as good as the OEM. Now, MAS, Mevotech, Moog and AC Delco offer these on the aftermarket and I believe most, if not all, also have a limited lifetime warranty. Rockauto.com sells them. I've never heard anything negative about any of the aftermarket links.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Re: Need help FAST!

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:47 am

Physiks wrote:So I bought a pathfinder the other day after searching for 3 months.
Well when I started it the first time I used the key the guy handed me and everything worked fine.

Well when I got home I noticed that it had keyless entry. So after I rechecked everything and turned it off I locked it with the keyless.
I left it there for two days because Im getting it registered monday.
I went out about 30 minutes ago to start it and the key wont turn forward in the ignition. My security light IS flashing red. I read online that if you unlock the door wit the key it will disable. Trouble is the key I have to start it isnt the key that unlocks the doors.
Im wondering if iI should get new lock cylinders for it or if i should buy a new ignition. I boight this truck to drive back and forth to work and this is an unexpected issuem im supposed to register it monday before work and now I really dont know what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks !
I don't think the security light turns off until the key is inserted into the ignition and turned to the "on" position and after the anti-theft system recognizes the chip in the key. At least that's the way it is on later models. Anyway, what would probably make the most sense is to remove the door lock cylinder, take it to a locksmith and have him code your door lock cylinder to your ignition key. Or, you can purchase a replacement door lock cylinder, which will come with new keys, but you will have separate keys for the door lock and the ignition. A new door lock cylinder goes for about $60 on the aftermarket and about $75 +/- for a genuine Nissan part. You also have a lock in the glove box, which may or may not be a concern for you. Again, you can have that re-coded by a locksmith or purchase a new lock with a key and have a separate key for the glove box. I'd rather have just one key for everything.

Physiks

Postby Physiks » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:39 pm

Thank you guys for all your help. Im definitely going to look into new lock cylinders. 😂 But for now Ill just hope it doesnt happen again. Thank for the info on aftermarket manufacturers as well. Still tossing around the idea of buying just the bushings instead of all four arms. The front bushing are alot easier to find in polyurethane. Lol

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:32 pm

Poly bushings are good because they last a long time, but the don't absorb bumps as well as the stock bushings, making for a slightly harsher ride. Replacing the bushings can be a bit of a chore, too.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”