Tire weight for mpg ?

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

nismopath

Tire weight for mpg ?

Postby nismopath » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:58 pm

I have been searching tires for the past couple days and driving myself crazy. I have narrowed it down between a 40lb General Grabber at2 tire and a 50lb goodyear authority at tire.
Questions is, will the extra 10 lbs make thst much difference?

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:45 pm

Yes more unsprung weight will not only cause your MPG to drop but it will also have an effect on ride, handling, braking, acceleration and put more wear and tear on your suspension. For something like the Pathfinder that spends most of its life on road I would always try and buy the lower weight tire. If I am building a Jeep/truck for off road it will not matter much the tread is more important.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Take a look at the Hancook Dynapro ATM it's a darn good tire for the $.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:44 am

Are we talking about a 1mpg change or more like 5mpg change? 10 lbs per tire doesn't seem like a lot but who knows

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:29 am

nismopath wrote:Are we talking about a 1mpg change or more like 5mpg change? 10 lbs per tire doesn't seem like a lot but who knows
That's a tough one to estimate it depends on the tread of the tire as well as the weight. Could be 1 or could be 8 mpg it all depends.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:40 am

Come to think of it my sister went from P rated Bridgstone A/T tires to Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks in the same tire size although the Goodyear D's were at leased 10 pounds heavier and lost 3.5 mpg.

What were you looking for in a tire? Something better off-road? Better in the snow? What are your needs?

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:29 pm

Kestral wrote:Come to think of it my sister went from P rated Bridgstone A/T tires to Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks in the same tire size although the Goodyear D's were at leased 10 pounds heavier and lost 3.5 mpg.

What were you looking for in a tire? Something better off-road? Better in the snow? What are your needs?
Nothing crazy, I have some stock tires now and usually hunt with a buddy who has General Grabber AW/t tires so we use his truck over mine going in and doing and work in the stsnds and food plots. Those tires are fine on dirt roads and we get back in the woods when its not wet but sometimes we get bad storms in the fall and our hunting land floods and I'd like to start using my truck. I need the occasional extra help when it's gets muddy and wet sand. I liked the Goodyear just because of the name, I like the grabber at2 because it's a step above the AW series my buddy has, and they are under $150 tire here. I'm open to options in that $150-200 range.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Goodyear DT's are not perfect for anything but are not a bad choice for any terrain. I have considered them myself after seeing how good they are on my sisters Jeep. They actually ride better then any heavy AT tire has any right to and are fairly quiet. I just don't feel I need a tire that aggressive. The General Grabber AT2 is a real good tire I know 2 people that have them.

Another good choice is the Cooper Discover AT3 they are great in all areas also much better in the mud then most AT tires. Look at vids on YouTube.

nismopath

Postby nismopath » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:04 pm

I will look at the Coopers, the Grabber at2 is just a great deal right now. I found them for $160 installed. They are only 265/70/17 though and i have been trying to find a set of 275/70/17s for under $200 a tire but I can't seem to find anything comparable in quality.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Those Generals are a good buy.

It was between those and the Cooper ATws I picked up.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”