Driver seat options?

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

EvilTheCat

Driver seat options?

Postby EvilTheCat » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum. This is my first post. I bought an 06 SE about 2 months ago and so far I love it except for a few minor things.

The most troubling is the lack of visibility. I am 6'2" and apparently have a long torso and short legs for my height, which places my head about an inch from the roof. From up there I cannot see traffic from the right unless I look under the huge mirror. My seat is bottomed out and I don't like riding with my seat reclined all the way down. Plus the fabric is torn on the side a little. My hope is that there is a Maxima seat or Sentra seat that will bolt right in and give me a lower ride height. Maybe Frontiers? Can the brackets be modified? I can weld, but would rather not have to fabricate a new bracket if there's a bolt in option with an even more comfy seat. Monday I will probably try pulling off the seat to have a look at it.

Alternatively, is there a smaller mirror or place to relocate it where I can see the road better? I'm about to just pull the stupid thing off.

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 am

4 days, 35 views and not even a hello or welcome to the forum? Maybe this is the wrong forum for me.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:21 pm

...............4 days, 46 views
sorry about the lack of a hello or welcome, but those generally take place in the "New Members, Sign Off" forum.
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewforum.php?f=10
as far as your seating issue, I guess most of us here haven't encountered that issue as such, and I doubt that anyone anywhere has tried an alternate seat from another Nissan
you might talk to a custom upholstery shop to see if your seat can be modified, or perhaps you could have a custom seat made upon your current seat frame
smaller aftermarket mirrors may be available - that's a simple "google" search
BTW, welcome to the forum! :)

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I am going to check with a glass place tomorrow to see the cost of bringing the mirror up 2 inches. I'd try it, but I'm sure it would fall off the fist 103 degree day. As for the seat, well I'll just wait until spring and go seat shopping at the junk yard.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:38 pm

I don't think any of the Nissan car seats will fit the platform. Similar year Frontier seats will bolt right in but will be the same height. I'm not sure about the earlier generation Frontiers.

If you use mirror glue for the relocate, it won't fall off. You'll need to get another metal mount because you'll damage the glass trying to get the original one off. Use magic marker to trace around the base mount onto the glass before you install it. Once you apply it to the glass with the glue, make sure you get it right the first time because once it touches, it's stuck for good!

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks. I called a glass company and they said they could move it up for 20 to 25 dollars. In just haven't had a chance to get there to get it worked on.

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:26 pm

I got it relocated for a mere $15 dollars. It is so much safer now that I can see to the right. The guy had some trouble getting the spud to stick with the mirror kit because of the black tinting stuff so we tried some kind of urethane that he had for some purpose. It's held great for 4 days now.

Here's 2 photos taken at the same intersection before and after. I tried holding the camera of the phone against my right eye to get the same perspective.

Before:

After:

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”