Help Locating Fuel Pressure Sensor 22365 AM60A

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

idontknow54

Help Locating Fuel Pressure Sensor 22365 AM60A

Postby idontknow54 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:36 pm

I have a 97 pathfinder.

I cannot find this sensor no matter how much digging I do. Can someone tell me where exactly this sensor is at?

I see it in a diagram showing it looking attached to the charcoal canister, but I don't have one there.

Is it on the gas tank?

Thanks for any help, trying to pass emissions before camping season!

[/img]

Hawairish

Postby Hawairish » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:20 pm

How did you determine that is the part you need? Do you have a diagnostic code?

Reason for asking is because 22365-AM60A (superseded by 22365-1TV1B) is for newer Nissan and Infiniti models, but not a 97 Pathfinder. Instead, p/n 25085-1W207 is for Pathfinders made from 07/96-07/97, and p/n 25085-9E020 for 07/97-12/98. (Your prod date is on the driver's door jamb label.) RockAuto sells both parts for an absurd amount, and has pics of the parts for reference. They also sell a replacement part for 22365-AM60A, but again, that's wrong.

All the above parts appear to be installed near the charcoal canister, not on it. Follow the hoses and match the parts to one of the RockAuto pics.

Before replacing it (assuming you're throwing a P0450), check the FSM for the diagnostic procedure, on page AT-243: http://www.nicoclub.com/manuals/Pathfin ... der/ec.pdf

Another notable is that lookup code "22365" is now called a "Sensor-Boost Pressure" by Nissan, but in 1997 it was an "Evap Control System Pressure Sensor", and was located under the hood by the master cylinder at the top of this bracket:

If you do in fact need one of those 22365 parts, p/n 22365-1S700 is for 07/96-07/97 models, and 22365-9E02A for 07/97-12/98.

idontknow54

Postby idontknow54 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:12 pm

I'm currently throwing a po440 code, I had a shop diagnose multiple codes, and the have me a list of sensors to replace to start with. I've replaced all of the recommended sensors and am now down to this single code now.

I definitely got the wrong part, ordered from Rock auto, it came up under my year and I didn't know what to look for. Thanks I'll return that then.

I'm just trying to get through emissions but this po440 code just keeps returning, and on the last run, I noticed the OD off light is flashing when the key is put to on. This pathfinder is my first experience with a Nissan, I had a bad knock sensor so replaced that along with a new charcoal canister and the evap valve attached to it. Replacing this was to solve a po446 along with the canister and valve. I am simply doing everything they recommended at this point not being familiar with the car.

Thanks for the help clearing up the part.

Hawairish

Postby Hawairish » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:10 am

No problem on the info.

According to the FSM, P0440 is a rather broad code for a small leak. I've thrown that on my 1998 Frontier before...the solution was a new gas cap. This is also the cheapest and easy fix attempt, so I recommend that first, then clearing the code (a Stant cap worked for me).

Beyond that, you basically need to check all the hoses that connect to all the solenoids/valves and sensors for any frays or tears. I'd try that before changing any more components, since those get pricey.

Interestingly enough, I'm facing my own P1444 code on the same Frontier. Attempted to tackle it today...the charcoal from the canister finally crept its way all the way up to the purge solenoid and clogged it up. I cleared out the solenoid, but haven't been able to unclogged the main line yet.

But on a related note, the pressure sensor for mine was about 18" away from the canister, mounted to the chassis. I'd expect a similar setup for yours...I have an 04 Pathfinder that I can confirm on, assuming the setups were still the same.

idontknow54

Postby idontknow54 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:33 am

I bet it's charcoal somewhere in the labyrinth of hoses then after hearing that. The old canister was rattling and a few pieces fell out when I disconnected. Tried a new gas cap already no luck, found the sensor though, will have to get the correct one now.

Alright, I'm going to start checking hoses to start out. I'll update if I find the problem.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:05 pm

When the canister liner fails, tiny bits of charcoal get sucked all throughout the system. If you don't get all of these bits out, they will continue to cause problems. There is a Nissan service bulletin (NTB00-085a) that tells how to clear out the system. You can download it here:

http://x.nissanhelp.com/forums/local_li ... &keyid=574

The bulletin says 97 and later R50 Pathfinders, but it applies to 1996, as well. Sometimes you can just blow clear the evap components with compressed air.

The evap pressure sensor should be attached to the underside of the vehicle, close to the centerline and a little forward of the canister. At least that's where I remember them as being.

Hawairish

Postby Hawairish » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:16 am

Haha, I wish it was as easy as they make it sound in the bulletin to do any of those service items and clean out the lines. No way the recommended 1PSI through the service port would've fixed my problem.

On my Frontier, I rigged up both compressed air and a shop vac to draw out what I could...wasn't very efficient at clearing clogs. End up using some copper wire from a Romex line to snake into the hardline through all the bends. No way I was pulling the hard line down...would have required dropping the tank and removing a ton of other components. Once I felt confident I poked through all the clogs, I then rigged up a hose to flush everything out, then blew more compressed air through the line to dry it out. What a PITA.

I'll be putting a transparent fuel filter on the line at the canister...it's crap that this can even happen.

On the bright side, though...repairing the solenoid saved me about $70, and a guy on the NICO forum noticed some similarities between a Maxima canister and the Frontier/Pathfinder canister...including a $120 price gap ($30 vs $150). I ordered a Maxima one and will confirm some dimensions when it arrives. A 1997 Pathfinder canister is even more expensive ($210!), but looks dimensionally the same as the 1998 canister, just with different sized hose barbs...it would be trivial to adapt the hose sizes.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:48 am

Installing the fuel filter may cause issues with the operation. Any restriction, even minimal, can affect it. I remember spider webs in the vent control valve causing evap codes to trigger before Nissan developed a filter kit. I'd also be hesitant about changing any hoses sizes or using barbed fittings to get a less expensive canister to work. The slightest of system leaks will cause a small leak code to trigger.

Hawairish

Postby Hawairish » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:38 am

Possibly. I'm sure there's some degree of sensitivity.

Though, in my case, the Maxima canister appears to be identical to the Frontier/Pathfinder in many regards. I won't have to change anything about the hoses if the specs it lists are correct, so it's worth chancing.

But, a leak is a leak. A sealed system that meters pressure (and not volume) won't know what size a hose is, and adapting a hose size at the canister represents maybe a 3" section on a 15' line, which is probably insignificant.

Even in my case, with the charcoal filling the entire line...the failure wasn't that the line was full (I could still push air through it), it was that the granules got into the solenoid body and prevented it from closing.

For the spider webs, you're talking about the valve opening on the outside of the canister, that has a hose running to the water separator (looks like a half-crushed soda can with a hole at the bottom), right? That's the only 'entry' into the system. I can possibly see a web clogging the valve and preventing it from opening or closing, but that's a very specific failure. That spider would have to be on one helluva a mission to get to that point.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:04 pm

Yeah, the spider webs were in the hose connected to the vent control valves on the early Nissan models with this system, which didn't have a filter. The filter was later developed to prevent this issue, but every now and then it still happens even with the filter.

As far as the fuel filter causing problems, you have to understand how this system works. A leak is a leak, but this is only an issue as far as the self-test feature of the system. During the self test, the ECM will close the vent control valve and open the purge valve, allowing a vacuum to be placed on the system. With the vent control valve close, it "should" be a closed system and the ECM monitors the system with the evap pressure sensor, which is the "eyes" of the system. Once it detects that there are no leaks in the system, it will "pass" the self check and open up the vent control valve.
The issue I see is during normal operation where the added fuel filter in the system may be read by the ECM (via the pressure sensor) as a restriction in the system. I'm not saying I'm 100% sure it will, but, it potentially "could." If you do the filter mod, we'd be happy to hear of how it turns out!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”