Roof/ Cargo basket thread

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

ABAMAGRAD1995

Postby ABAMAGRAD1995 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Hey WDE08, I love your Crimson red Pathfinder. Roll Tide LOL

MileHighMschf

Postby MileHighMschf » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:31 pm

Hey WDE08, lovin the ride man! Do you have a post with your lift specs? Its perfectly proportionate...

Laissez les Bons Temps Roulez!

Science Abuse

Postby Science Abuse » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:25 am

Resurrecting this thread: Has anyone seen or heard of someone replacing the rack assembly as a whole?

In the old outback I just replaced, I started with a Rolla and liked it. however, the weight basket ate up almost 20% of my load carrying ability AND killed 5mpg off my highway.

I sold the Rolla and started welding up a low-profile rack for the sake of saving fuel. Coincidentally, the steel available to me was fairly thick wall, drilled 1" on center, and galvanized. *I have never been happier with a rack.*

3 crossbars, each would hold 200lb without deflecting. The holes allowed it to be an "erector set" to mount whatever I wanted up there. 3-Kayak Rack, sailboat cradle, a billion bikes, observation platform, it was great.

The OEM Outback rack equipment was all metal, bars down to the roof, so it took all of these loads. It was very disappointing to find the Pathfinder mounted to plastic castings *that flex when I pull on them*.

But, it's easy enough to remove them, strip the roof bare, and start from scratch. I'm going to begin the design and build of a new all-steel rack this fall.... Has anyone else done this?

Wearethesound

Postby Wearethesound » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:40 am

Any update on your build? Wanting to do something similar but not sure how feasible it will be nor where to start.

Science Abuse

Postby Science Abuse » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:11 am

All designed, materials bought months ago... and no time to get started. I've been remodeling instead.

I did end up making a bolt-on kayak rack that holds 4.[/img]

IcedTeasley

Postby IcedTeasley » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:38 pm

I did this a while back...

Here's how to install it...

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 2851#12851

I still love it.

peterpeterson

Postby peterpeterson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:42 pm

IcedTeasley wrote:I did this a while back...

Here's how to install it...

http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... 2851#12851

I still love it.
Is there a reason you didn't get the rack to extend all the way over the sunroof?

I have a RTT attached to the factory rack and crossbars. It eats up all the rack space, and would really like the full amount of roof I have.

Peter

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”